The Cal Alumni Association is seeking a creative, team-oriented Camp Manager who will breathe life into our summer season in an exceptional way. A successful Camp Manager is a leader, friendly, approachable, reliable, flexible, honest, and positive, among many other things. Camp Managers and staff members are ambassadors of Cal spirit and role models to our camp kids, and provide outstanding customer service to our camping guests each and every day of the summer.
You will develop friendships that will last forever. You will become part of a very long and rich Lair staff tradition. If you love the outdoors and are excited about networking with Cal families and making lifelong friendships, then this might be the job for you.
Read more about the Lair: http://alumni.berkeley.edu/lair
The Camp Manager leads and supervises a team of seasonal summer staff to achieve the goals of the Lair’s programs and services. The Camp Manager is also responsible for providing customer service and ensuring camper satisfaction in a manner that supports our mission. This position is one of three Camp Managers, all of whom report to the Lair General Manager.
It is fundamental to the overall success of the Lair that the Camp Manager cultivates an overall workplace culture focused on customer service, hard work, and personal accountability. The Camp Manager is required to attend and/or participate at shows, at meals, and occasionally at the various daily programs. Camp Managers must be organized and regularly demonstrate to staffers and campers great leadership, knowledge of overall business operations, and effective delegation and supervision of the team.
- To lead and manage a team of seasonal summer staff on a day-to-day basis
- To provide customer service and ensure camper satisfaction in a manner that supports our mission
- To train staff on job duties, camp safety, and camp policies prior to camper arrival
- To communicate and enforce Lair rules as stated in the CAA and Lair Employee Handbooks, and to document and provide employee feedback and coaching
- To ensure camp cleanliness and staff area cleanliness
- To cultivate a hard-working, customer focused, and collegial environment through your supervision and leadership of direct reports, through your contribution to the company culture, and by the overall manner in which you carry out your job duties
- To support staff check in/out process, submit semi-monthly timesheets, and complete other administrative requirements as assigned
- To complete other duties as assigned
- High-level interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including ability to write and speak persuasively in front of groups large and small
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and diverse portfolio of programs and events
- Demonstrated organizational, leadership and management skills
- Demonstrated and proven ability to interact positively and professionally with all campers and employees, ability to provide quality customer service and ability to use professional judgment and discretion to resolve issues
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and coordinate diverse teams and activities
- Ability to perform job duties independently without close or continued supervision
- Advanced-level computer skills using word processing, e-mail, calendar, database, project management, presentation and spreadsheet software applications using MS Office suite and Google applications.
- Ability to repeatedly lift, carry, push and pull at least 50 lbs
- Ability to repeatedly climb steps, stairs, ladders and stools
- Ability to repeatedly bend, squat, crawl, kneel and reach above shoulders
- Ability to walk on uneven ground
- Ability to work outdoors at elevations over 5,000 feet, with exposure to changes in temperature and humidity
WORK HOURS, LOCATION AND PAY RATE:
- Seasonal, full time job from May 15th – September 15th (slightly flexible-minimum would be June 1st – August 31st).
- Must be flexible in living arrangements and willing to work over 40 hours a week
- Must live on-site in Camp located in Pinecrest, CA 95364
- Pay Rate is fixed at $2,583.33 – $2,729.16/semi-monthly + meals and lodging. Job is classified as seasonal-temporary, fulltime, exempt.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Camp Manager” in the subject line and a completed CAA job application which can be found on our website under the careers page. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Friday, April 6, 2023. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Friday, April 6, 2023
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus