Customer Service Rep (Berkeley, CA)
The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is looking for an experienced customer service representative to help our alumni association membership team respond to questions from the Cal community about joining the Alumni Association, UC Berkeley, campus events and activities, and more. If you enjoy connecting people and resources, have the ability to learn and use a complex database, and are looking for a customer service opportunity that supports higher education, please read on to apply.
The Cal Alumni Association is a mid-sized, dynamic, and multifaceted nonprofit organization committed to providing programs and services that keep Cal alumni of all ages and interests connected to UC Berkeley and to each other. Our programs include an award-winning magazine, scholarships, alumni career services, events, family camp, travel, and more. CAA is the alumni association for University of California, Berkeley and is located on campus in Berkeley, CA.
CAA seeks candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion and to increasing the participation of individuals from groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
Work Schedule and COVID Safety Protocol: CAA staff are expected to work a hybrid schedule Monday – Friday, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff are required to take a COIVD test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID vaccine or request a disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief exception.
- Greet and assist alumni, students, and guests entering, phoning, or emailing the Alumni House and Membership Office
- Respond to routine correspondence regarding membership, CAA and University policies, events, and facilities, and the @cal online community using prepared responses
- Perform CADS database updating of basic member contact, biographical, address and affiliation information
- Enter membership payments into the CADS database
- Check daily receipts of membership payments against exported CADS data
- Update Membership Access database with current member information, payment and campaign information
- Conduct outbound calls and send personalized emails to lapsed members.
- Print membership cards and complete the fulfillment of membership packages
- Fulfill, track, and record the mailing of premiums to members
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Excellent computer skills in spreadsheet, database management and word processing applications (MS Office Suite, Google Applications)
- Excellent telephone etiquette; Strong oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to input a consistent large volume of data entry with a high degree of accuracy
- Organized and detail-oriented with the ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize duties
- Regular and punctual attendance is critical
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and Campus-wide events in addition to assigned work-shift
- Ability to learn and use UC Berkeley’s CADS database
- Must submit to and pass Consumer Report and FBI/DOB fingerprint background investigations
- UC Berkeley alumnus/a
- Experience with advancement databases, such as CADS
- Familiarity with UC Berkeley and/or the Cal Alumni Association
Salary and Benefits
This is a non-exempt, hourly paid position with a pay range of $24-26 per hour. This job is eligible to participate in healthcare benefits, a retirement plan with company match, and generous vacation and holiday time-off benefits. CAA staff, while not University of California employees, are also eligible for many UC Berkeley staff programs and discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed, and professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Monday, May 2, 2022. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Monday, May 2, 2022
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Alternate Method of Application
Download the application packet as a PDF, complete the forms, and email them as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Temporary Adjustments
The Cal Alumni Association is preparing for our return to the office. Staff will be expected to work a hybrid schedule, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exception due to disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus