Event Sales and Service Manager
The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is looking for an Event Sales and Service Manager who is excited about event venue sales and passionate about providing superior customer service for our guests. The manager actively markets, sells, and coordinates events at the Alumni House in Berkeley, CA. The Manager is also responsible for achieving guest and employee satisfaction, and for managing the financial performance of the Alumni House Rentals department. Key components of this role are to ensure continuity of a positive guest experience, consistency of policy application, and sharing and implementing best practices across the team. The position will report to the Senior Director, Alumni House Facilities and Event Services.
Our top candidate has incredible customer service and is sales oriented with clear and effective communication (written and verbal). You have the ability to effectively multitask with frequent interruptions while maintaining productivity. You are known for your effective and efficient problem-solving skills and the ability to perform under pressure. You have experience in developing and nurturing staff with the ability to manage, coach, and mentor team members to achieve their best.
- Managing Event Sales
- Field incoming leads, and solicit new and repeat business both on and off the UCB campus.
- Seek out new sales opportunities through cold calling, networking, advertising, and social media, wedding fairs, etc.
- Market and promote the Alumni House to CAA local alumni chapters, campus departments and organizations, including in-person marketing presentations.
- Develop and nurture existing relationships to produce additional business.
- Conduct on-site consultations and site tours.
- Create proposals and contracts through our EMS reservation system that meet the client’s needs and adhere to company standards.
- Cultivate a positive reputation via reviews, recommendations, and loyal past customers.
- Manage our client invoice process and pursue delinquent accounts.
Managing Event Operations
- Work with the senior director to develop and implement the business plan, strategies, and goals for event sales and operations to meet or exceed net revenue and guest satisfaction.
- Manage bookings, catering, and execution of event logistics for events held at Alumni House. Notify Senior Director of internal catering requests.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with guests, vendors, and competitors.
- Order supplemental equipment such as stages, patio heaters, tables, flowers, as needed.
- Work a flexible schedule which includes occasional events on nights and weekends.
- Partner with the Senior Director to hire and maintain a team of about 10 Event Assistants.
- Gain and maintain knowledge of UCB campus facility and emergency preparedness policies; participate in UCB Building Coordinator meetings and workshops.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ensure Exceptional Customer Service
- Consult with customers to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, graduations, conventions, and weddings, and consider accessibility needs.
- Display leadership in guest hospitality, exemplify excellent customer service, and create a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Maintain customer satisfaction to ensure retention and growth of business through referrals and repeat events.
- Review guest satisfaction survey results with the Senior Director and follow up on client feedback as necessary.
- Maintain awareness of current trends in event management and integrate into our operations.
- Support internal events and campus-wide events that CAA is hosting and/or co-sponsoring.
Leading Event Assistants
- Schedule Event Assistants adhering to the city of Berkeley fair work week ordinance, and California meal and rest break requirements.
- Coordinate with internal and external catering teams.
- Coordinate with our internal IT staff as needed to support events.
- Adhere to and reinforce all standards, policies, and procedures.
- Conduct Event Assistant performance appraisals and provide feedback as needed.
- Provide continued training to staff to help resolve issues when they arise.
- High school diploma or GED, AND 4 years experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing, or related professional area. OR a 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major AND 2 years experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
- Ability to write on-brand marketing content and ads.
- High-level interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, including the ability to write and speak persuasively, and communicate with guests and staff.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend events.
- Ability to multitask with frequent interruptions and maintain productivity.
- Experience hiring, supervising, and/or training a diverse staff.
- Proficient computer skills using Google and Microsoft applications.
- Must be able to lift, push and pull up to 40 pounds.
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must submit to and pass Consumer Report Investigation and FBI/DOJ fingerprint background checks.
- Previous sales or business development experience.
- Experience working with EMS software or similar event-management software.
- Knowledge of OSHA standards and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of general UCB campus policies and protocols.
Salary and Benefits
The pay range is $65,000 – 78,000 annualized plus benefits.
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits, working 37.5 hours per week. The position is located in Berkeley, CA, and is eligible to participate in healthcare benefits, a retirement plan with company match, and generous vacation and holiday time-off. CAA staff, while not University of California employees, are eligible for many UCB staff programs and discounts on campus. We have a friendly professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting AH Event Services in the subject line. Please send your documents as attachments in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Friday, April 14, 2023. We are seeking candidates whose previous experience prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion and to increasing the participation of individuals from groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We are also looking for applicants who demonstrate an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Friday, April 14, 2023
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Alternate Method of Application
Download the application packet as a PDF, complete the forms, and email them as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Temporary Adjustments
The Cal Alumni Association is preparing for our return to the office. Staff will be expected to work a hybrid schedule, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exception due to disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus