Part-Time Marketing Manager, UC Berkeley Alumni Travel
The Cal Discoveries Travel (CDT) team is seeking a part-time Program Manager for Marketing in Berkeley, CA to oversee our travel marketing processes, focusing on print brochures, email marketing, social media content, and data list management. As the marketing lead, this role is crucial to expanding the reach of CDT in support of the Cal Alumni Association (CAA) mission of inspiring alumni to support the University. This position also assists with customer service efforts for our trip reservations, including phone calls, data entry, emails and passenger correspondence. The top candidate will be detail-oriented, creative, and have marketing experience and strong project management skills.
The Cal Alumni Association seeks candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion and to increasing the participation of individuals from groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
This position reports to our Senior Director, Cal Discoveries.
Location and Work Schedule:
The position is located in Berkeley, CA at the Alumni House on the University of California, Berkeley campus. The position will work a hybrid schedule in line with job duties and business needs, with some time working in the office and some time working remotely. Must be able and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and campus events. Please note that remote work must be performed in the state of California.
Must be able to serve as Tour Manager on Cal Discoveries trips (domestic or international, appx 14-21 days out of office per year.)
COVID-19 Safety Requirements:
Staff are required to provide proof of COVID vaccine and booster, or request a disability, medical, or sincerely held religious belief exception. All employees must follow current facecovering guidelines.
- Manages the entire travel marketing process including partnering with tour operators to ensure on-brand, consistent CAA messaging and materials that drive our business
- Edit and proof all print brochures, in partnership with tour operators, to ensure error-free print pieces that reflect CAA brand and style guidelines
- Responsible for financial management of the print marketing process
- Maintain data lists, manage list segmentation, and ensure safe sending practices for print marketing pieces
- Manage CDT calendar for marketing pieces including print, digital, and social media marketing
- Produce content for the CDT Facebook and Instagram pages, manage posting and page interactions
- Create and send the bi-monthly Travel Update email newsletter, in conjunction with CAA’s Marketing and Communication department
- Analyze CDT current digital marketing efforts and suggest strategic improvements, including identifying opportunities to grow our reach
- Provide support and coverage as needed with CDT trip reservations and customer service, which primarily entails professional, responsive communication with travelers by phone and email, and accurate data entry
- Support program events and pre-departure calls
- Stay up to date with trends in travel, social media and marketing
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 3-5+ years total professional experience, with at least two years’ proven success in a Marketing role
- Professional experience editing and proofing documents and content; excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced environment, learning and adapting quickly, and prioritizing workloads effectively
- Advanced understanding of social media platforms
- Customer service and communication skills on the phone and in person
- Proven experience with independent judgment and decision making; experience with issue resolution using discretion and independent judgment, and negotiation; ability to work with confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent skills in planning, organizing, and strategizing
- Technically capable with a desire to improve processes
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Professional presentation, demeanor, conduct, and performance
- Ability to collaborate cooperatively with travel partners, contractors, lecturers, and internal staff
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, while interacting effectively and enthusiastically with diverse groups
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and Campus-wide events in addition to assigned work-shift
- Ability to learn and use UC Berkeley’s CADS database
- Must submit to and pass Consumer Report and FBI/DOJ fingerprint background investigations
- Ability to lift a suitcase (up to 50 lbs.)
- College graduate, ideally in a Marketing-related field
- Experience working with print mail houses
- Knowledge of the travel industry or strong interest in adult educational travel
- Experience with CRM (customer relationship management) technologies, preferably CADS (Cal Advancement Data System)
- Familiarity with UC Berkeley and/or the Cal Alumni Association
Salary and Benefits
This is a professional part-time, non-exempt position with a pay rate of $30-32 per hour, working 20 hours per week. CAA offers a highly competitive benefits package and positive work-life balanced environment. CAA also offers access to campus parking and a 403(b) retirement savings option. CAA staff members are also eligible for many UCB faculty/staff discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Please visit our website at alumni.berkeley.edu and see our Career Opportunities page for more details about the job and necessary qualifications. After reviewing our website, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Travel Marketing Manager ” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Friday, January 27, 2023. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Friday, January 27, 2023
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Alternate Method of Application
Download the application packet PDF, complete the forms, and email them as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Temporary Adjustments
The Cal Alumni Association is preparing for our return to the office. Staff will be expected to work a hybrid schedule, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exception due to disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus