Facilities Technician, Lair of the Golden Bear Family Camp Seasonal
The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is seeking an experienced full-time, seasonal Facilities Technician to perform general repair and maintenance to the Lair of the Golden Bear’s family campground located in Pinecrest, California. Our ideal candidate will have excellent carpentry skills, experience completing minor construction and handyman projects, and the ability to perform basic vehicle maintenance. The Facilities Technician is responsible for on-going repair and maintenance projects and capital improvements in addition to providing support for all Facilities Technicians.
About the Lair: Nestled deep in the Stanislaus National Forest at Pinecrest, California, you’ll find the Lair of the Golden Bear, an unforgettable family summer vacation spot—owned and operated by the Cal Alumni Association since 1949. The Lair consists of three camps: Camp Gold, which opened in 1949, Camp Blue, which opened in 1957, and Camp Oski, which opened in 1997. The camps are located just one half-mile from each other. All camps are located in the Stanislaus National Forest on U.S. Forest Service land.
About CAA: The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is a mid-sized, dynamic, and multifaceted nonprofit organization committed to providing programs and services that keep Cal alumni of all ages and interests connected to UC Berkeley and to each other. Our programs include an award-winning magazine, scholarships, alumni career services, events, family camp, travel, and more.
- Carpentry and construction projects
- General repair and maintenance work of the camp grounds including basic plumbing, electrical, and vehicle maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
- Extremely strong carpentry skills
- Knowledge of electrical, plumbing and vehicle maintenance
- Ability to coordinate diverse activities and to meet and work with a variety of people
- Must be flexible and willing to work over 40 hours a week and some weekends and holidays (eligible for overtime pay)
- Ability to perform tasks in an independent manner without close or continued supervision
- Must submit to and pass driving record, consumer report, and FBI/DOB fingerprint background investigations.
Salary and Benefits
Pay Range: $22-$25 per hour.
This is a full-time, seasonal, non-exempt position working approximately 40 hours per week from April 15, 2023 to October 31, 2023. Position is located at the Lair of the Golden Bear family camp in Pinecrest, CA, and reports to the Director of Facilities.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and professional references, email@example.com, noting Lair Facilities Seasonal in the subject line. Please include references relating to your carpentry skills and experience. Deadline to apply is Friday, April 7, 2023. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Friday, April 7, 2023
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Alternate Method of Application
Download the application packet as a PDF, complete the forms, and email them as an attachment to email@example.com.
COVID-19 Temporary Adjustments
The Cal Alumni Association is preparing for our return to the office. Staff will be expected to work a hybrid schedule, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exception due to disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus