Hours: 8-10 hours per week during the semester, very flexible around classes. Location: Alumni House on the UC Berkeley campus
Pay Rate: $17.67 per hour, work‐study preferred but not required
Deadline: Apply by Friday September 9, 2022
The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is seeking a detail-oriented student to assist with data entry and clean-up, e-newsletter, building marketing content, and general administrative support for the Alumni Chapters Department. The student should have considerable experience using Excel or Google spreadsheets, and the interest and ability to interact with Cal alumni of all ages and backgrounds. You’ll help with various planning stages and marketing efforts for in-person and online events. This job involves considerable data entry, so the applicant should be comfortable with several hours a week in front of the computer.
We are flexible with your schedule to make sure you can balance school work and this position. In addition to gaining valuable professional experience, you will interact with great staff and alumni here at CAA.
- Data entry and data research of chapter members, volunteers, and event attendees into UC Berkeley’s Cal Advancement Database System (CADS)
- Assist staff with developing, proofreading, and editing of communication materials and internal documents
- Create events in the Berkeley Events Calendar
- Assist with activity reports to track alumni engagement and events
- Look up alumni in CADS and update records as needed
- Maintain data in our alumni chapter database
- Assist with event preparation, post‐event task management, and inventory/organization of event supplies
- Work at CAA events when applicable and available, including occasional nights and weekends
- Provide ongoing administrative support to Chapters department
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to work independently, manage workflow, and complete projects in a timely manner
- Good oral and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with sensitive data
- Ability to edit and proofread; able to understand CAA’s brand and editorial standards. Knowledge of the English language, including grammar, syntax, and punctuation.
- Competency using Microsoft and Google apps (Word, Excel, Gmail, Google Drive), Eventbrite, Facebook, and the Internet
- Ability to learn and use complex databases
- Good interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with staff, students, volunteers, and alumni
- Able to lift boxes of 50 pounds and willing to move equipment and supplies around campus
- Must submit to and pass FBI/DOJ fingerprint background investigations.
Salary and Benefits
Supervision and Classification:
This position reports to the Director, Alumni Chapters and will collaborate with and support other team members on assigned projects. The Student Assistant job is classified as an at-will, temporary, non-exempt position.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please note Student Assistant – Alumni Chapters in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. Please send your materials as an attachment in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Friday September 9,2022.
Deadline to Apply
Friday September 9,2022
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus