Pay rate $18.75/hour, work-study preferred but not required.
Schedule 10–15 hours per week, flexible schedule, Monday–Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT plus coverage of special events (may occur in evenings/on weekends).
Start date ASAP
Location Hybrid schedule, splitting time working on-campus at Alumni House and working remotely. Remote work must be performed in California.
The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is looking for an enthusiastic Cal student with an interest in social media to support CAA’s social media communications channels to continually expand audience engagement among our Cal alumni community. Our ideal candidate has experience using social media on behalf of a brand or organization, exceptional written and visual communication, and strong content-creation talent in useful areas like storytelling, photography, or graphic design. While we’re not expecting you to be an expert in all areas (and we’ll help you develop your skills), you should be open to learning and ready to work in a fast-paced creative environment with multiple, concurrent deadlines. A creative, inquisitive mindset with the ability to communicate in ways that interest and engage Cal alumni is key.
In addition to gaining valuable professional experience, you will work alongside a great team here at CAA and have the opportunity to gain insight into social media and digital marketing.
- With supervision and guidance from the Marketing and Communications team, the student assistant will: ❏ Help create and execute social media campaigns across CAA’s social media channels: (70%) ❏ Create graphics, capture or edit photos, and write copy for social media campaigns ❏ Source user-generated content and edit for republication
❏ Monitor campus and media outlets for timely and relevant news of interest to Cal alumni
❏ Assist in maintaining the department’s social media calendar
❏ Research and pitch social content ideas
❏ Following CAA brand standards and social strategy, engage with community on social media channels, responding to inquiries appropriately
❏ Help collect and analyze performance metrics from social media channels (20%) ❏ Participate in weekly social/communications team meeting (5%)
❏ Assist the Marketing and Communications team with other tasks as requested (5%)
❏ Knowledge of UC Berkeley and its people, culture, communities, history, and traditions
❏ Interest in connecting with Berkeley’s community of 500k+ alumni through creative, inspiring, and newsworthy content
❏ Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
❏ Knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, including grammar, syntax, and punctuation ❏ Knowledge of the concepts and principles of social media marketing for a brand or organization ❏ Experience using social channels, particularly Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram, to conduct storytelling and marketing for a brand or organization
❏ Experience using digital design tools such as Creative Cloud or Canva to create engaging visual content
❏ Comfortable engaging and talking to people (often virtually) to gather information and visual content
❏ Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational and time-management skills ❏ Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.) or Microsoft Office equivalents ❏ Willingness to learn new skills and jump into new experiences, take initiative, and complete projects efficiently
❏ Ability to multitask with excellent attention to detail
❏ Flexibility in schedule to cover occasional evening and/or weekend events
❏ Must submit to and pass background check including FBI/DOJ screening
❏ Technical skill in photography and/or videography
❏ Experience using Adobe Photoshop and/or Lightroom, basic HTML
❏ Experience using digital tools to analyze and create social media reports
Salary and Benefits
$18.75/hour, work-study preferred but not required.
Supervision and Classification:
This position reports to the Senior Director, Marketing and Communications.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and up to two examples of social media content or campaigns you have created, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note SOCIAL MEDIA Student Assistant in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. Please send your materials as an attachment in PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by January 8, 2024. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
January 8, 2024.
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus