Cal Alumni Association is seeking an outstanding team member to join the Cal Discoveries Travel program, focusing on customer service (email and phones), data entry/integrity, reservation processing, passenger communication, day-to-day office work, and organization. The top candidate will provide internal administrative support to all aspects of our travel program with a heavy focus on customer service/relations and data entry. As the first and primary point of contact for our travelers, this role is crucial to the guest experience. Cal Discoveries offers foreign and domestic educational group tours to alumni, faculty and friends of the University of California, Berkeley.
The Cal Alumni Association seeks candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We are also looking for applicants who demonstrate an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
Supervision: The Travel Coordinator position reports to the Assistant Director, Cal Discoveries.
Location and Work Schedule:
The position is located in Berkeley, CA at the Alumni House on the University of California, Berkeley campus. The position will work a hybrid schedule in line with job duties and business needs, with some time working in the office and some time working remotely. Must be able and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and campus events. Please note that remote work must be performed in the state of California.
Must be able to serve as Tour Manager on one domestic or international Cal Discoveries trip per year, if needed (up to 10 days out of office).
COVID-19 Safety Requirements:
Staff are required to take a COVID test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID vaccine and booster, or request a disability, medical, or sincerely held religious belief exception. All employees must follow current facecovering guidelines.
- Answer phones and emails to provide customer service to travelers inquiring about trips
- Maintain accuracy and integrity of database: data entry of reservations, brochure requests, tour components, inventory, etc.
- Enter and update traveler, tour, and vendor records in ViaTour (internal reservation system)
- Assist with passenger correspondence: confirmation notifications, final documents, fulfill brochure requests, promotion of trips to travel prospects, and mailing to advance trip registrants
- Support program events and pre-departure calls
- Provide administrative support to all Cal Discoveries programs
- Manage past traveler coding in UC Berkeley CADS (Campus Database)
- Verify CAA membership status
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 1-2 years experience with data entry and customer service, or relevant education
- Proven to have strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent customer service and communication skills on the phone and in person
- Professional presentation, demeanor, conduct, and performance
- Accurate and detailed data entry skills with the ability to input a consistent large volume with a high degree of accuracy, using internal reservation system and CADS database
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple activities and projects concurrently
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly and to work cooperatively; strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office and Google Drive applications
- Ability to interact effectively and enthusiastically with diverse groups
- Have a valid passport without travel restrictions
- Ability to lift a suitcase (up to 50 lbs.)
- Must submit to and pass Consumer Report and FBI/DOJ fingerprint background
- College graduate
- UC Berkeley alumnus/a
- Experience with CRM (customer relationship management) technologies, preferably CADS (Cal Advancement Data System)
- Familiarity with UC Berkeley and/or the Cal Alumni Association
Salary and Benefits
This position is classified as an at-will, full-time, non-exempt. Pay range will be between $24-26 per hour and is eligible to participate in company sponsored benefits.
BENEFITS: CAA offers a highly competitive benefits package and positive work-life balanced environment. CAA also offers affordable medical/dental/vision benefits, access to campus parking, and a 403(b) retirement savings option. CAA staff members are also eligible for many UCB faculty/staff discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with “Travel Coordinator” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Please send your materials as an attachment in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your application materials for consideration by Oct. 13, 2022. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Oct. 13, 2022
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Alternate Method of Application
Download the application packet as a PDF, complete the forms, and email them as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Temporary Adjustments
The Cal Alumni Association is preparing for our return to the office. Staff will be expected to work a hybrid schedule, with some jobs required to work onsite a majority of the time depending on job duties. Staff will be required to take a COVID-19 test on campus through University Health Services, and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exception due to disability, medical or sincerely held religious belief.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus