Cal Alumni Association is seeking a customer-centric team member to join the Cal Discoveries Travel program. As the first and primary point of contact for our travelers, this role is crucial to the guest experience. The coordinator is responsible for providing top-notch customer service over the phone, in person, and via email. They are also responsible for a high volume of data entry, the data integrity of our passenger database, processing reservations, pre-trip and post-trip passenger communications, and providing administrative support to all aspects of our travel program. Cal Discoveries offers foreign and domestic educational group tours to alumni, faculty, and friends of the University of California, Berkeley.
The Cal Alumni Association seeks candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We are also looking for applicants who demonstrate an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
LOCATION AND WORK SCHEDULE:
The position is located in Berkeley, CA at the Alumni House on the University of California, Berkeley campus. Work hours must be in line with traditional business hours to provide real-time customer service and support to our passengers. The position is eligible to work a hybrid schedule in line with job duties and business needs, with some time working in the office and some time working remotely each week. Must be able and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and campus events. Please note that remote work must be performed in the state of California.
Travel Expectations: Able and willing to travel domestically in the United States AND internationally to serve as the Tour Manager for 1 to 2 domestic or international Cal Discoveries trips per year, if needed. When possible, advance notice of 30 days or more is provided, but there may be instances where you may be asked to travel at the last minute to fill in for a Tour Manager that is no longer able to lead the trip.
Supervision: The Travel Coordinator position reports to the Assistant Director, Cal Discoveries.
- Answer phones, messages, and emails to provide customer service to travelers inquiring about trips.
- Maintain accuracy and integrity of database: data entry of reservations, brochure requests, tour components, inventory, etc.
- Enter and update traveler, tour, and vendor records in ViaTour (internal reservation system).
- Execute passenger correspondence: confirmation notifications, final documents, fulfill brochure requests, promotion of trips to travel prospects, and mailing to advance trip registrants.
- Lead a portion of guest-facing pre-departure briefings and pre-trip calls (shared responsibility).
- Provide administrative support to all Cal Discoveries programs.
- Manage past traveler coding in UC Berkeley CADS (Campus Database).
- Verify CAA membership status.
- Set Cal Discoveries OOO alerts for email and voicemail.
- Order, organize, and distribute office and tour supplies.
- Support program events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required certifications: First Aid and CPR
- Must submit to Consumer, Motor Vehicle, and FBI/DOJ fingerprint background investigations.
- Ability to work with confidential information and follow data security protocols.
- Excellent written and oral communication, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to lift, push and pull up to 30 pounds.
- 2 years experience in an administrative support role.
- Hospitality or customer service industry experience.
- Confident computer skills using PC, and Microsoft Office and Google Suite, especially Sheets.
- Proactive with exceptional attention to detail, organized, and the ability to keep others organized.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be a team player, and thrive in a fast-paced, outdoor work environment is a must.
- Prior experience participating in or working at an organized camp program preferred.
- College graduate
- UC Berkeley alumnus/a
- Experience with CRM (customer relationship management) technologies, preferably CADS (Cal Advancement Data System)
- Familiarity with UC Berkeley and/or the Cal Alumni Association
Salary and Benefits
This position is classified as an at-will, full-time, hourly, non-exempt position. Pay range is between $25-28 per hour. This position is eligible to participate in healthcare benefits, and a retirement plan with company match. We offer great work-life balance opportunities with generous vacation and holiday time-off benefits. CAA staff, while not University of California employees, are eligible for many UC Berkeley staff programs, professional development and networking opportunities, and discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed, and professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with “Travel Coordinator” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Please send your materials as an attachment in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your application materials for consideration by March 1, 2024. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
March 1, 2024
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus