Let us know how we can partner:
Chief Revenue Officer
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
Program Manager, Sponsorship Services
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
California magazine is a UC Berkeley-led forum for innovations in science, culture, and public policy. It reflects the rich complexity of America’s most populous state, celebrates its genuine achievements, and fearlessly explores its difficult choices. Founded in 1907, California was re-launched in 2009 with a new design, new departments and a new editorial mission. As one of the most influential voices of UC Berkeley, the magazine binds together the social network of alumni, faculty, and friends of the university.
California magazine is the publication of the Cal Alumni Association, a quarterly showcase for ideas from the leading edge, featuring engrossing stories from UC Berkeley and beyond. Articles range in topic from the latest developments in nanotechnology to the future of college sports. Every issue highlights practical information based on the latest research findings from the University, while also serving up articles on food, the arts, and life on campus.
California showcases award-winning photographers and writing. Articles from the magazine have been reprinted in Utne Reader and Best American Science and Nature Writing, and California has received CASE, FOLIO and MAGGIE awards for both its writing and design.
|Issue||Space Reservation Deadline||Materials Date||Distribution Date|
|Jan / Feb / Mar 2017
|Apr / May / Jun 2017
|Jul / Aug / Sept 2017
|Oct / Nov / Dec 2017
|Jan / Feb / Mar 2018
California magazine’s audience is highly educated and affluent. Most readers are UC Berkeley alumni, including prominent business, cultural, and academic leaders. Our readers influence public opinion and create change. In a recent survey, 63% of our readers responded that they would consider purchasing a product and/or service advertised in California magazine.
Read 3 of last 4 Issues
Average household income
Regularly dine out
Have taken a trip within the continental U.S. within the past 12 months
Source: 2007 California Magazine Media Mark Research Inc. (MRI) Reader Survey
|Other States and Abroad||15,000|
|Geographic Region in CA||Distribution|
|San Francisco Bay Area||54,000|
|Northern California / Bay Area Counties||Number of Subscribers|
|Other No. Cal counties||14,948|
|Southern California Counties||Number of Subscribers|
|Other So. Cal counties||8,906|
|UC Berkeley Faculty & Staff Members||2,500|
|California magazine complimentary list
(includes UC Berkeley donors, legislators, members of the California Business Roundtable, UC Berkeley schools and Office of the President)
|UC Berkeley Graduating Senior Class Members||2,000|
Source: Cal Alumni Association mailing list—September 2008
Advertising Dimensions and Specifications
Our preferred advertising specifications are as follows:
- Please submit a high-resolution PDF (PDF/X1-a) with embedded fonts. If registration or trim marks are used, offsets should equal 12 pt. or .1667” to ensure trim marks are not in the bleed area.
- If a high-resolution PDF cannot be sent, please supply linked files and related fonts. (Adobe Postscript only. TrueType and Multiple Master fonts are not recommended.)
- PDF files must be print-optimized, CMYK with fonts embedded.
- Photos and graphics should be 300 dpi, CMYK or grayscale, .eps or .tif.
- Convert all spot colors to process. Pricing is based on visual colors, not ink on press.
- Provide a high-quality digital proof that meets SWOP specifications. Color match attempts are not guaranteed when a substandard proof is provided. Files can be supplied on CD or DVD.
- Distinguish your file with advertiser’s name.
- Copy and logos on bleed ads must be within the live area, no less than 1/4” from the trim.
|Covers 2 & 3||$6,200||$5,580||$5,270|