Below are many of our general policies for camping at the Lair in 2021. Prior to booking, we suggest you carefully review our terms, and learn more about our offering of Trip Insurance, which we highly recommend.
Camper Waiver 2021
- As a guest or visitor of the Lair, you assume all risks and dangers incidental to the activity of camping in a rustic outdoor environment including specifically, but not limited to, the danger of being injured or killed by wildlife, participating in recreational activities such as swimming or outdoor sports at or around the campground, or inclement weather conditions. Upon your signing of this waiver form, you are acknowledging and assuming these risks and dangers.
- RELEASE: In consideration of the Lair of the Golden Bear allowing me, my Spouse/Partner and/or my immediate family (“Lair Participants”) to use its campsites, facilities, equipment, services, and programs, and to participate in both on-site and off-site activities and programs including, but not limited to, swimming, hiking, boating, sports, arts & crafts, and any other such activities affiliated with the Lair (“The Activity”) and/or allowing Lair Participants to do so, I for myself, my Spouse/Partner, my heirs, personal representative and assigns, release, waive, discharge, and agree not to sue the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees, and agents in respect of liability from any and all claims (“Release”), including those arising from the negligence of the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees and agents (“Released Parties”) to the fullest extent allowed by applicable law. This does not include any rights that cannot be waived under applicable law. This Release will apply in all cases, including those resulting in injuries, death, or property loss arising from or related to the Activity.
- INDEMNITY: Lair Participants also agree to indemnify the Released Parties from any and all claims actions costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees, brought as a result of my involvement in The Activity, and to reimburse the Released Parties for any related expenses.
- PROMOTIONAL MEDIA TERMS: Cal Alumni Association (“CAA”) and the Lair may use images of Lair Participants and camp activities in promotional materials through various media, and Lair Participants consent that the images may be used for these purposes. If Lair Participants do not wish to appear in any such materials, we will inform CAA in writing of this prior to our arrival at camp.
- ALCOHOL: In an effort to ensure compliance with the Lair alcohol policy, Lair Participants and staff shall wear identifying wristbands at all times while on the premises. Serving alcohol to minors is illegal, and the Lair prohibits anyone under the legal age of 21 years old to buy, sell, serve or consume alcohol on its premises at any time. If you are of legal age, you must drink responsibly. If you choose to serve cocktails to campers while at camp, you may only serve alcohol to those ages 21 and over as identified by their wristbands. Campers not complying will be asked to leave camp.
- RIGHTS RESERVED: The Lair reserves the right to ask you to leave camp if you, your family or guests’ presence becomes distracting to the well being, safety or welfare of other campers or staff at the Lair.
- CANCELLATION: Lair participants agree to the Lair Cancellation Policy - see below to read our full Cancellation Policy.
- MEMBERSHIP: Lair participants agree to our Membership Policy: at least one adult camper in every tent during the family camp sessions must be a paying CAA member. See below to read our full CAA Membership Policy.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK: Lair participants understand that participation in The Activity carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. Lair Participants expressly and voluntarily assume such risks. This includes, but is not limited to, the risks associated with all strenuous physical activities and/or other inherently dangerous activities. The specific risks vary from one activity to another, but the risks range from 1) minor injuries such as scratches, bruises and sprains; 2) major injuries such as eye injury or loss of sight, joint or back injuries, heart attacks, and concussions; and 3) catastrophic injuries including paralysis and death.
- Furthermore, the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, we strongly recommend social distancing. The Lair has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19; however, the Lair cannot guarantee that you, your family, or visitors will not become infected with COVID-19. By signing this waiver, you acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that your party and you may become exposed or infected by COVID-19 while at or around the Lair and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. You understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at the Lair may result from the acts, omissions, or negligence of yourself and others, including but not limited to the Lair’s employees, contractors, volunteers, and other campers. You voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury, illness, or death to yourself or anyone in your party. On behalf of yourself and your party, you hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and forever hold harmless the Lair, its employees, owners, agents, and representatives, of and from any and all claims, including all liabilities, damages, fees, costs, or expenses of any kind arising out of or related thereto.
Lair Participants have carefully reviewed this Agreement and understand its terms. Lair Participants have not relied on any oral representation, statement or inducement not specifically set forth in the Agreement. Lair Participants voluntarily execute this Agreement on their own behalf. I expressly acknowledge and affirm my intent that if any portion of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue in full legal force and effect.
2021 Cancellation Policy
Lair participants agree to the Lair Cancellation Policy: All cancellations must be in writing, such as in an email.
- You may cancel a booking before March 17, 2021 and receive a full refund of your deposit.
- All cancellations between March 17, 2021 and April 30, 2021 will result in the forfeiture of your deposit.
- Final Payment is due May 1 for all Lair sessions including family camp and adult sessions.
- Payments received after May 2 will incur a minimum $50 late payment fee. Unpaid reservations are subject to cancellation, forfeiture of full deposit, and loss of rebooking privileges next summer.
- All cancellations after May 1, 2021 result in forfeiture of your entire camping fee.
- If you need to cancel a camper in your tent at Camp Oski, a $200 fee will be applied and we’ll refund the balance after any applicable tent fees are applied.
- If you need to change a camper in your tent at Camp Oski, there is no fee if the rate is the same.
- If you need to change a camper in your tent at Camp Oski and the new camper’s fee is lower, a $200 fee per camper change will be charged and balance refunded.
- No refunds will be given after May 1 for any camper changes in your tent.
- No refunds will be given for campers confirmed who arrive late or leave early.
- Trip insurance is offered and is highly recommended.
Recommended: Trip Insurance
In these challenging days with many unknowns, we are encouraging campers to purchase trip insurance. There are many options and you are free to use any insurance company you like. As a service, we are providing information from Meyer and Associates, a partner of the Lair of the Golden Bear and Cal Alumni Association, as they are offering two travel insurance plans through Travel Insured International (TII) as options to consider as you search.
Both options include a variety of benefits, yet no policy can insure against every risk. Please be aware of the time-sensitive material, as each policy offers slightly different coverage and benefits. Some features, such as the pre-existing condition waiver, are provided only if you apply within 21 days from the date of your tent confirmation (for campers submitting booking requests before February 28, the date of confirmation is March 17 and will be communicated via email to campers who booked this summer).
For full details about the trip insurance plans offered through Meyer and Associates, AND to get a quick quote online, please visit their website:
For COVID specific FAQs please click here.
Below is a pdf with a brief overview about the trip insurance options and coverage:
If you have any questions about the coverage provided by TII, please email Meyer and Associates directly at email@example.com or call them at 800.635.7801. Their team is well versed in the insurance policies they offer, and their insurance is available to all campers.
CAA Membership Policy
Cal Alumni Association (CAA) membership is required for one adult in each tent during our week-long family camp sessions. Sorry, membership to other University of California alumni associations does not qualify for this requirement. You do not need to be a Cal grad to be a CAA member. We welcome all!
To become a member, or to renew your membership, you can contact the Lair office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information on membership, please contact our Membership Services department at 888.225.2586, email@example.com.