** Important Policy Reminders for 2020 **
Please carefully review our policies and terms, and learn more about our offering of Trip Insurance, which we highly recommend.
In light of the increased concerns and uncertainty as it pertains to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Lair is waiving our cancellation fee through April 30, 2020.
See details below, and you can read our recent email communication HERE.
- RELEASE: In consideration of the Lair of the Golden Bear allowing me, my Spouse/Partner and/or my immediate family (“Lair Participants”) to use its campsites, facilities, equipment, services, and programs, and to participate in both on-site and off-site activities and programs including, but not limited to, swimming, hiking, boating, sports,arts & crafts, and any other such activities affiliated with the Lair (“The Activity”) and/or allowing Lair Participants to do so, I for myself, my Spouse/Partner, my heirs, personal representative and assigns, release, waive, discharge, and agree not to sue the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees, and agents in respect of liability from any and all claims (“Release”), including those arising from the negligence of the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees and agents (“Released Parties”) to the fullest extent allowed by applicable law. This does not include any rights that cannot be waived under applicable law. This Release will apply in all cases, including those resulting in injuries, death, or property loss arising from or related to the Activity.
- INDEMNITY: Lair Participants also agree to indemnify the Released Parties from any and all claims actions costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees, brought as a result of my involvement in The Activity, and to reimburse the Released Parties for any related expenses.
- PROMOTIONAL MEDIA TERMS: Cal Alumni Association (“CAA”) and the Lair may use images of Lair Participants and camp activities in promotional materials through various media, and Lair Participants consent that the images may be used for these purposes. If Lair Participants do not wish to appear in any such materials, we will inform CAA in writing of this prior to our arrival at camp.
- ALCOHOL: In an effort to ensure compliance with the Lair alcohol policy, Lair Participants and staff shall wear identifying wristbands at all times while on the premises. Serving alcohol to minors is illegal, and the Lair prohibits anyone under the legal age of 21 years old to buy, sell, serve or consume alcohol on its premises at any time. If you are of legal age, you must drink responsibly. If you choose to serve cocktails to campers while at camp, you may only serve alcohol to those ages 21 and over as identified by their wristbands. Campers not complying will be asked to leave camp.
- RIGHTS RESERVED: The Lair reserves the right to ask you to leave camp if you, your family or guests’ presence becomes distracting to the well being, safety or welfare of other campers or staff at the Lair.
- CANCELLATION: Lair participants agree to the Lair Cancellation Policy - see below to read our full Cancellation Policy.
- MEMBERSHIP: Lair participants agree to our Membership Policy: at least one adult camper in every tent during the family camp sessions must be a paying CAA member. See below to read our full CAA Membership Policy.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK: Lair participants understand that participation in The Activity carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. Lair Participants expressly and voluntarily assume such risks. This includes, but is not limited to, the risks associated with all strenuous physical activities and/or other inherently dangerous activities. The specific risks vary from one activity to another, but the risks range from 1) minor injuries such as scratches, bruises and sprains; 2) major injuries such as eye injury or loss of sight, joint or back injuries, heart attacks, and concussions; and 3) catastrophic injuries including paralysis and death.
Lair Participants have carefully reviewed this Agreement and understand its terms. Lair Participants have not relied on any oral representation, statement or inducement not specifically set forth in the Agreement. Lair Participants voluntarily execute this Agreement on their own behalf. I expressly acknowledge and affirm my intent that if any portion of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue in full legal force and effect.
UPDATED Cancellation Policy as of March 12, 2020
In light of the increased concerns and uncertainty as it pertains to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Lair is making an adjustment to 2020 Cancellation Policy. All cancellations must be in writing, such as in an email.
NEW: Canceling on or Before April 30, 2020
The Lair will waive all cancellation fees from now through April 30, 2020. If you decide to cancel between now and April 30, we will refund your full deposit / payment made to date. On May 1, all final payments will be due.
Canceling Your Tent on or After May 1, 2020
All tent cancellations on or after May 1, 2020 result in forfeiture of your entire camping fee.
Changes to Campers in Your Tent On and After April 7, 2020
Final Payment is Due on May 1 for ALL LAIR SESSIONS
Final Payment is due on May 1 for ALL LAIR sessions. Payments received after May 1 will incur a minimum $50 late payment fee. Unpaid reservations are subject to cancellation and forfeiture for full deposit, and loss of rebooking privileges next summer.
Partial Stay Campers
No refunds will be given for campers confirmed for the week but who arrive late or leave early.
We know some long time campers may not be able to return one summer, and wish to keep their tent for the following summer. In this case, the Lair permits a camper to sublet their tent to another family. We allow this for ONE TIME ONLY, as it’s unfair for families to hold on to a tent when new families are seeking to get a tent through our lottery system. Additionally, the Lair is not involved in finding families wishing to sublet; this is up to the family to find another family to use their tent for one summer only. If you do decide to sublet your tent for one summer and find another family, there is a $100 Sublet Fee that will be charged for the Lair to facilitate this. The two families involved can decide how / who wishes to pay.
If You Don’t Get a Tent Through the Lottery
If you are not assigned a tent through the lottery, we will issue a FULL REFUND of your deposit on request. However, you and your deposit may chose to stay on the Wait List and incur no penalties until you accept a tent. If we are still unable to get you a tent at the start of the session, we would refund your deposit then. Our Cancellation Policy only applies to campers with a confirmed tent booking, and not to campers on the Wait List.
What If I Don’t Like My Tent Assignment?
The Lair Reservations Team proofs every tent assigned through the lottery to be sure it aligns with your online booking request. We can’t always accommodate your first or second choice — though we try! If you provide other tent or session options in your booking request, we assume those are other options you would accept. If you are assigned a tent that matches any of the options you select in your online booking request, you will be subject to our Cancellation Policy. We don’t assign a camper a tent that wasn’t included in a booking request.
Please see our FAQ page page for more information about our lottery and tent assignment process, as well as helpful tips on submitting your booking request.
Because of our tighter Cancellation Policy, trip insurance is highly recommended.
Recommended: Trip Insurance
Based on feedback from campers who joined us in 2018 and who experienced air quality issues in camp due to smoke from neighboring fires, we explored options that could offer financial relief should a family decide not to come to camp or to leave camp early. We landed on offering campers trip insurance, which is a solution that aligns well for travelling to any destination, including the Lair!
As our Cancellation Policy significantly changed last year, we are encouraging campers to purchase trip insurance. There are many options and you are free to use any insurance company you like. As a service, we are providing information from Meyer and Associates, a partner of the Lair of the Golden Bear and Cal Alumni Association, as they are offering two travel insurance plans through Travel Insured International (TII) as options to consider as you search.
Both options include a variety of benefits, yet no policy can insure against every risk. Please be aware of the time-sensitive material, as each policy offers slightly different coverage and benefits. Some features, such as the pre-existing condition waiver, are provided only if you apply within 21 days from the date of your tent confirmation (for campers submitting booking requests before February 28, the date of confirmation will be April 7, and so the 21 day window ends on April 27).
UPDATE: In light of pushing this tent confirmation date back to April 7, we strongly advise to wait on purchasing trip insurance until the start of the 21-day window on April 7, as there are no penalties or costs to you to wait until then. We will send email reminders in advance on important dates.
For full details about the trip insurance plans offered through Meyer and Associates, AND to get a quick quote online, please visit their website:
For a pdf with easy instructions on how to get a quote and/or purchase this trip insurance:
Below is a pdf with a brief overview about the trip insurance options and coverage:
If you have any questions about the coverage provided by TII, please email Meyer and Associates directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 800.635.7801. Their team is well versed in the insurance policies they offer, and their insurance is available to all campers.
CAA Membership Policy
Cal Alumni Association (CAA) membership is required for one adult in each tent during our week-long family camp sessions. Sorry, membership to other University of California alumni associations does not qualify for this requirement. You do not need to be a Cal grad to be a CAA member. We welcome all!
To become a member, or to renew your membership, please contact our Membership Services department at 888.225.2586, email@example.com.