** Important Updates for 2019 **
The Lair has significantly changed our Cancellation Policy. Please carefully review our new terms, and learn more about our offering of Trip Insurance, which we highly recommend.
- RELEASE: In consideration of the Lair of the Golden Bear allowing me, my Spouse/Partner and/or my immediate family (“Lair Participants”) to use its campsites, facilities, equipment, services, and programs, and to participate in both on-site and off-site activities and programs including, but not limited to, swimming, hiking, boating, sports,arts & crafts, and any other such activities affiliated with the Lair (“The Activity”) and/or allowing Lair Participants to do so, I for myself, my Spouse/Partner, my heirs, personal representative and assigns, release, waive, discharge, and agree not to sue the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees, and agents in respect of liability from any and all claims (“Release”), including those arising from the negligence of the Cal Alumni Association, its officers, employees and agents (“Released Parties”) to the fullest extent allowed by applicable law. This does not include any rights that cannot be waived under applicable law. This Release will apply in all cases, including those resulting in injuries, death, or property loss arising from or related to the Activity.
- INDEMNITY: Lair Participants also agree to indemnify the Released Parties from any and all claims actions costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees, brought as a result of my involvement in The Activity, and to reimburse the Released Parties for any related expenses.
- PROMOTIONAL MEDIA TERMS: Cal Alumni Association (“CAA”) and the Lair may use images of Lair Participants and camp activities in promotional materials through various media, and Lair Participants consent that the images may be used for these purposes. If Lair Participants do not wish to appear in any such materials, we will inform CAA in writing of this prior to our arrival at camp.
- ALCOHOL: In an effort to ensure compliance with the Lair alcohol policy, Lair Participants and staff shall wear identifying wristbands at all times while on the premises. Serving alcohol to minors is illegal, and the Lair prohibits anyone under the legal age of 21 years old to buy, sell, serve or consume alcohol on its premises at any time. If you are of legal age, you must drink responsibly. If you choose to serve cocktails to campers while at camp, you may only serve alcohol to those ages 21 and over as identified by their wristbands. Campers not complying will be asked to leave camp.
- RIGHTS RESERVED: The Lair reserves the right to ask you to leave camp if you, your family or guests’ presence becomes distracting to the wellbeing, safety or welfare of other campers or staff at the Lair.
- CANCELLATION: Lair participants agree to the Lair Cancellation Policy - see below to read our full Cancellation Policy.
- MEMBERSHIP: Lair participants agree to our Membership Policy: at least one adult camper in every tent during the family camp sessions must be a paying CAA member. See below to read our full CAA Membership Policy.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK: Lair participants understand that participation in The Activity carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. Lair Participants expressly and voluntarily assume such risks. This includes, but is not limited to, the risks associated with all strenuous physical activities and/or other inherently dangerous activities. The specific risks vary from one activity to another, but the risks range from 1) minor injuries such as scratches, bruises and sprains; 2) major injuries such as eye injury or loss of sight, joint or back injuries, heart attacks, and concussions; and 3) catastrophic injuries including paralysis and death.
Lair Participants have carefully reviewed this Agreement and understand its terms. Lair Participants have not relied on any oral representation, statement or inducement not specifically set forth in the Agreement. Lair Participants voluntarily execute this Agreement on their own behalf. I expressly acknowledge and affirm my intent that if any portion of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue in full legal force and effect.
UPDATED Cancellation Policy
UPDATED: We have made significant changes to our Cancellation Policy, so please carefully review the revised cancellation and refund policy below for new cancellation deadlines and restrictions. All cancellations must be in writing, such as in an email.
Canceling on or Before February 28, 2019
You may cancel a booking on or before February 28, 2019 and receive a full refund of your deposit.
Canceling Between March 1 and on or before March 13, 2019
A $250 fee will be charged for all cancellations of confirmed tent reservations if the cancellation occurs on March 1 and on or before March 13, 2019.
NEW: Canceling Your Tent on March 14, 2019 and on or before April 30, 2019
NEW: All cancellations between March 14 and April 30, 2019 will result in forfeiture of your full deposit.
NEW: Changes to Campers in Your Tent On and After March 14, 2019
Final Payment is Due on May 1 for ALL LAIR SESSIONS
Final Payment is due on May 1 for ALL LAIR sessions. Payments received after May 1 will incur a minimum $50 late payment fee. Unpaid reservations are subject to cancellation and forfeiture for full deposit, and loss of rebooking privileges next summer.
NEW: Canceling Your Tent on or After May 1, 2019
NEW: All tent cancellations on or after May 1, 2019 result in forfeiture of your entire camping fee.
Partial Stay Campers
No refunds will be given for campers confirmed for the week but who arrive late or leave early.
If You Don’t Get a Tent Through the Lottery
If you are not assigned a tent through the lottery, we will issue a FULL REFUND of your deposit on request. You may chose to stay on the Wait List for however long and incur no penalties until you accept a tent. Our Cancellation Policy only applies to campers with a confirmed tent booking, and not to campers on the Wait List.
Because of our tighter Cancellation Policy, trip insurance is highly recommended.
NEW OFFERING: Trip Insurance
As our Cancellation Policy has significantly changed, we are encouraging campers to purchase trip insurance. There are many options and you are free to use any insurance company you like. As a service, we are providing information from Meyer and Associates, a partner of the Lair of the Golden Bear and Cal Alumni Association, as they are offering two travel insurance plans through Travel Insured International (TII) as options to consider as you search.
Both options include a variety of benefits, yet no policy can insure against every risk. Please be aware of the time-sensitive material, as each policy offers slightly different coverages and benefits. Some features, such as the pre-existing condition waiver, are provided only if you apply within 21 days from the date of your tent confirmation (for campers submitting booking requests before February 28, the date of confirmation will be March 14).
For full details about the trip insurance plans offered through Meyer and Associates, AND to get a quick quote online, please visit their website:
For a pdf with easy instructions on how to get a quote and/or purchase this trip insurance:
Below is a pdf with a brief overview about the trip insurance options and coverage:
If you have any questions about the coverage provided by TII, please call Meyer and Associates directly at 800.635.7801. Their team is well versed in the insurance policies they offer, and their insurance is available to all campers.
CAA Membership Policy
Cal Alumni Association (CAA) membership is required for one adult in each tent during our week-long family camp sessions. Sorry, membership to other University of California alumni associations does not qualify for this requirement. You do not need to be a Cal grad to be a CAA member. We welcome all!
To become a member, or to renew your membership, please contact our Membership Services department at 888.225.2586, firstname.lastname@example.org.