Featuring world-class tennis and golf instruction, hiking and adventure, nonstop laughter, and plenty of relaxation, this is the perfect blend of programmed activity and freedom for active adults, all in our beautiful corner of the High Sierra.
Sunday, Aug 26 - Sunday, Sept 2, 2018
$1,095 per person with tennis program
$990.40 per person without tennis program
You can go online to book a tent, or call us at the Lair office at 510.900.8255.
About Our Camp
Sports and Recreation Camp is a mix of high-intensity, professional golf and tennis instruction, staff-led hikes, mountain biking, and a myriad of activities including cooking classes, dance instruction, art, evening mixers and more.
The Lair provides a great vacation for people who enjoy outdoor activities but don’t want to go camping.
Tennis and golf players will spend a week working on their skills and receiving outstanding instruction by our pros. Take a hike in the beautiful hi-country, or learn how to improve your backstroke in our pool. There’s always time to take a yoga class, or relax and read a book by the pool. The fun continues with night time activities including dances and mixers. Make the week your own and do as much or as little as you want to do each day. We’ll keep you happy with outstanding customer care and three delicious, hearty meals a day.
Read on to find out about all that we have to offer in programming, or choose from the following options:
General program »
Tennis program »
Golf program »
Outdoor adventure program »
Food and wine experience »
Wellness program »
Photography Workshops »
Lair night life »
Lodging, instruction, and a gourmet menu, as well as your choice of the following activities:
- Top-flight tennis instruction and PGA-led golf instruction (class sizes are limited)
- Hiking, mountain biking, kayaking with ospreys, and interpretive walks
- Chorale, drum circles, dance instruction, and tie-dye
- Professional photography workshops and a food and wine experience
- Hot-tubbing and lounging at the pool
- A full wellness program that includes yoga, water aerobics, professional swim instruction, and massage (massages are an additional cost)
- Lair Golf Tournament (golf with tennis balls)
- Nightly mixers, campfire entertainment, plus Casino Night and Disco Bingo
- Live Friday night dance with Mardi Gras themed party featuring acclaimed power-soul dance band, Chains Required
Bring Costumes! Let’s have some fun — here are our nightly themes where you can get fancied up….or come as you are.
- T-shirt featuring your Alma Mater for our Welcome Mixer
- Flowy skirts, fancy hats and dancing shoes for Contra Dancing Night
- Your best ’70s outfit (or any silly clothes) for Disco Bingo
- Your fanciest and most glittery outfit for our Casino Royale / Vegas Night
- Any floral and/or Hawaiian wear for our Floral Galore Party
- Your favorite concert t-shirt for our Dance Party with live music by local legends, Chains Required!
Our Tennis Program
Our tennis-focused campers will dive into intensive daily instruction on ten courts, led by an outstanding Cal-infused coaching staff (1:6 ratio with groupings according to USTA rating). USPTA Teaching Pro and the Head Pro at Oak Park in Santa Rosa and Sonoma Golf Club, Bob Klyce, returns with a coaching team that will help players at all levels improve their skills and game.
And we’re thrilled to share that this year that we’re adding Pickleball clinics to our tennis schedule!
“Everyone was really fun and friendly. As much tennis as you could want!”
This is not your average tennis camp. Our curriculum is unique in that it emphasizes the development of the whole tennis player. By integrating your mind, body, and spirit, we will expand your entire tennis lifestyle. Off the court, you’ll also enjoy our fitness and conditioning program, speaker series, daily US Open tennis on the big screen, short court sessions, and the very best of the Lair’s multitude of activities. When all is said and done, we promise you an incredibly rich and full experience—one that transcends your traditional tennis vacation!
Space is limited to 108 registrants in our tennis program. Please note that for the casual player, there will be a drop-in clinic late in the week.
Our golf program returns with a high level of instruction to players of all skill levels in swing mechanics, chipping, pitching, putting, video analysis, and more. In addition, you’ll enjoy late summer rounds at Twain Harte Executive Golf Course and Mountains Springs Golf Course in Sonora. Space is limited to 16 registrants.
Please note that for the casual player, there will be drop-in clinics late in the week.
Outdoor Adventure Program
Our daily quest for adventure features:
- Half-day and full-day High Sierra hiking to the most picturesque destinations of the Carson-Iceberg and Emigrant Wilderness areas
- Early morning kayaking with the ospreys at Pinecrest Lake
- Mountain bike ride to Twain Harte
Please note that some outings will have limited space and will require a sign-up on arrival at camp.
Food and Wine Experience
Gourmet chef and owner of Alameda’s Pappo Restaurant, John Thiel, will provide hands-on tips and secrets to preparing gourmet meals and small plates for entertaining. Join us for this unique camp cooking school. Classes will have limited space and will require a sign-up on arrival at camp.
Yoga, meditation, and a fantastic swim program highlight our expanded daytime wellness offerings. You will also enjoy chorale lessons and haiku classes with our professional staff. At the end of the day, unwind with a visit to the hot tub, or treat yourself to a soothing massage (for an additional cost).
Michael Kawano will be leading our photography workshops at Sports and Rec Camp. He shoots everything from landscapes to sports, weddings, events, wildlife, products, and over the past few years has specialized more and more in portraits and models.
Learn more »
Lair Night Life
For those with energy to spare when the sun goes down (and we know that’s most of you!), we present an energizing evening agenda which includes a Casino Night, Contra Dance instruction, Disco Bingo (yes, wear your best and silliest ’70s outfits), mixers, campfire entertainment, and a sensational Friday night dance with live band and a Mardi Gras theme — bring a costume or we’ll have supplies to create your own mask plus plenty of beads!
Please visit our Accommodations page to learn more about your Lair tent amenities and other limited lodging options.
Programs and dates are subject to change.