Insider’s Japan [waitlist only]
March 18 - 30, 2024
Operated by Odysseys Unlimited
- During a three-night stay, see Tokyo’s important sites, including the Imperial Palace District and gardens, the Meiji Shrine, and the Tokyo National Museum.
- Visit the gallery of a preeminent calligrapher and observe her as she works.
- Marvel at views of iconic Mt. Fuji and take a cruise on scenic Ashi Lake at Mt. Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park.
- Spend a night at a ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn, enjoying a Japanese-style Kaiseki dinner.
- Stroll along the streets of historic Takayama with its 16th-century castle and attractive old-style buildings dating to the Edo Period (1600–1868).
- Attend a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
- Take a hands-on cooking class with a local chef.
- Tour a sake brewery, sampling this national beverage and learning about the unique traditional brewing methods.
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Shirakawago Gassho-zukuri Village, featuring the unique Gassho architectural style.
- Explore culturally rich Kanazawa, including renowned Kenrokuen Garden and the Higashi Chayagai teahouse and geisha area.
- Tour a gold leaf museum and Kutani Kosen Kiln, where artists fashion the prized pottery.
- Experience Kyoto, a city that embodies Japan’s rich culture and complex history.
- See Kyoto’s lakeside Temple of the Golden Pavilion, one of Japan’s most famous buildings.
- Tour extravagant Nijo-jo Castle, where shoguns once resided; the important Buddhist temple, Sanjyusangendo Hall; and the Fushimi Inara Shrine with its many red torii gates.
- Discover Hiroshima, the modern, cosmopolitan city reborn from the atomic destruction of World War II, on an optional 3-day/2-night post-tour extension.
If you would like to view a digital copy of this trip’s brochure, please click on the “Digital Brochure” under Additional Resources (follows directly below Itinerary at a Glance) on this webpage.
* Cal lecturer’s participation cannot be guaranteed and is contingent upon a minimum number of paying travelers.
Insider's Japan | Mar. 18 – 30, 2024
Explore More Tours
Our Tour Lecturers
Meet the faculty lecturers that accompany our trips and provide informative local lecturers to enhance your vacation.