May 21 – Jun. 4, 2021
Number of days:
$6,497 [including air from SFO]
|Final Brochure: Ethiopia||6.87 MB|
- Encounter the abundant historical, natural, and cultural heritage of northern Ethiopia, with visits to multiple UNESCO sites.
- Explore the exciting, diverse capital city of Addis Ababa, a melding of old and new.
- Tour the National Museum of Ethiopia, home to the remains of the 3.2-million-year-old skeleton of the hominid Lucy.
- Meet Weyto people – a local ethnic group who live along the shores of Lake Tana – in their village, and learn about their tankwa reed boats.
- Take a boat trip on the lake to the Zege Peninsula, known for its round, grass-roofed churches with magnificent murals.
- Admire items, including jewelry, woven and embroidered garments, ox-horn drinking vessels, and grass baskets (a local specialty), in Bahir Dar’s handcraft market.
- Hike up to the fabled Blue Nile Falls, one of Ethiopia’s most popular sights.
- In Gondar, explore the ruins of the 17th-century castle complex of Fasil Ghebbi, a UNESCO site.
- Ascend to the stunning Ethiopian Highlands for a two-night stay in the exotic Simien Mountains National Park.
- Spend a full day traversing this incredible natural setting, a UNESCO site and home to rare and endemic wildlife.
- See the remains of the Kingdom of Axum, including the massive Obelisk of Axum, at various UNESCO archaeological sites in the holy city of Axum, the kingdom’s former capital.
- Visit Lalibela’s 11 incredible rock-hewn churches, carved out of living rock between the 7th to 13th centuries.
- Marvel at Asheton Maryam monastery, carved into the face of a mountain some 13,000 feet above Lalibela, and the remarkable cave church of Yemrehanna Kristos.
- Encounter the fascinating tribes of southern Ethiopia, along with the wildlife of two national parks, on a 6-day/5-night post-tour extension.