May 13 – 27, 2022 [singles: waitlist only]
Number of days:
From $5,995 [including air from SFO]
- Encounter the abundant historical, natural, and cultural heritage of northern Ethiopia, with visits to multiple UNESCO sites.
- Explore the exciting, diverse capital city of Addis Ababa, a melding of old and new.
- Tour the National Museum of Ethiopia, home to the remains of the 3.2-million-year-old skeleton of the hominid Lucy.
- Meet the Negede people – a local ethnic group who live along the shores of Lake Tana – in their village, and learn about their papyrus boats.
- Take a boat trip on the lake to the Zege Peninsula, known for its round, grass-roofed churches with magnificent murals.
- Hike up to the fabled Blue Nile Falls, one of Ethiopia’s most popular sights.
- Admire items, including jewelry, woven and embroidered garments, ox-horn drinking vessels, and grass baskets (a local specialty), in Bahir Dar’s handcraft market.
- In Gondar, explore the ruins of the 17th-century castle complex of Fasil Ghebbi, a UNESCO site.
- Ascend to the stunning Ethiopian Highlands for a two-night stay in the exotic Simien Mountains National Park, a UNESCO site and home to rare and endemic wildlife.
- See the remains of the Kingdom of Axum, including the massive Obelisk of Axum, at various UNESCO archaeological sites in the holy city of Axum, the kingdom’s former capital.
- Visit Lalibela’s 11 incredible rock-hewn churches, carved out of actual rock between the 7th and 13th centuries.
- Marvel at the remarkable cave church of Yemrehanna Kristos with its elaborate carvings and murals.
- Attend a traditional coffee ceremony, a time-honored ritual with this beverage that figures so prominently in local life and that is considered some of the world’s finest.
- Encounter the fascinating tribes of southern Ethiopia, along with the wildlife of two national parks, on a 6-day/5-night post-tour extension.
- If you are interested in receiving more information about this trip, please fill out this brochure request form. As soon as we have more information available we will send it to you.