1. Apr. 27 – May 13, 2020
2. Apr. 23 – May 9, 2020
Number of days:
$6,594 [including air from SFO]
- Encounter an exotic mélange of culture and religion, art and architecture on this tour of Central Asia’s Silk Road connecting East and West.
- Get inspired by tales of trade and treasure as you are embraced by the welcoming people of Central Asia.
- Discover the showpiece Turkmen capital, Ashgabat, with its impressive monuments, ubiquitous white marble buildings, and rich carpet weaving tradition.
- In Turkmenistan explore the UNESCO archaeological sites of Nisa and Kunya-Urgench, capital cities of old.
- Tour Khiva’s “inner city,” another UNESCO site, which reveals this Uzbek city’s storied past as a major Silk Road trading post.
- In ancient Bukhara, watch silk weavers at work and visit a Sufi miniaturist’s home to learn about his craft and savor a traditional plov lunch.
- On a thrilling overnight excursion travel by jeep through the Kyzylkum Desert, stopping to visit a renowned ceramicist and see Bronze Age petroglyphs.
- Enjoy a home-hosted lunch with a local family en route to Aydar Lake.
- Overnight at a yurt camp and explore your surroundings from atop a Central Asian two-humped Bactrian camel.
- Experience another legendary Silk Road stop, Samarkand, with its vast Registan Square and 15-century Bibi-Khanym mosque.
- Your discovery of this cultural crossroads includes a private visit to the Gur Emir Mausoleum, Tamerlane’s tomb.
- Explore Uzbekistan’s capital, Tashkent, home of the world’s oldest surviving Quran as well as vast Chorsu Bazaar.
- Spend a day touring Russian-accented Almaty, Kazakhstan’s largest city, exploring its central market and ascending a nearby mountain for panoramic views.