Oct. 7 – 19, 2020
Number of days:
$6,684 [including air from SFO]
|Final Brochure: Japan||3.76 MB|
- See Tokyo’s important sites, including the Imperial Palace District and gardens, the Meiji Shrine, and the Tokyo National Museum.
- Visit the gallery of a preeminent calligrapher and watch her as she works.
- Marvel at views of iconic Mt. Fuji and take a cruise on scenic Ashi Lake at Mt. Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park.
- Spend a night at a ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn, enjoying a Japanese-style Kaiseki dinner.
- Stroll along the streets of historic Takayama with its 16th-century castle and attractive old-style buildings dating to the Edo Period (1600-1868).
- Take a hands-on cooking class with a local chef.
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Shirakawago Gassho-zukuri Village, featuring the unique Gassho architectural style.
- Explore culturally rich Kanazawa, including renowned Kenrokuen Garden, the Higashi Chayagai teahouse and geisha area, and the Nagamachi Samurai district.
- Experience Kyoto, a city that embodies Japan’s rich culture and complex history.
- Tour extravagant Nijo-jo Castle, where shoguns once resided; the important Buddhist temple Sanjyusangendo Hall; and the Gion district, where geishas gather.
- Take an excursion to Nara, Japan’s 8th-century capital and home of Kasugataisha, a Shinto shrine and UNESCO site.
- Attend a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
- Discover Hiroshima, the modern, cosmopolitan city reborn from the atomic destruction of World War II, on an optional 3-day/2-night post-tour extension.