Apr. 28-May 13, 2018 [waitlist only]
Number of days:
$5,884 [including air from SFO]
|Final Brochure: Portrait of Italy||407.15 KB|
- Cruise along the breathtaking Amalfi Coast to seaside Amalfi, your base for exploring Italy’s Campania region.
- Ascend to lovely mountaintop Ravello, with its beautiful gardens and coastal views.
- Explore the ruins at Pompeii, the city frozen in time by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 CE.
- Stop in Montecassino, whose Abbey is the mother church of the Benedictine order and a center of medieval art.
- Tour the heart of ancient Rome: the 55,000-seat Colosseum, built in 72 CE; and the Forum, ancient Rome’s political and legal center.
- Visit the Vatican for a tour of St. Peter’s Square and Basilica, and the awe-inspiring Sistine Chapel in the Vatican Museums.
- Travel through a pastoral landscape of gentle agricultural land and medieval hill towns to Orvieto, where you attend a cooking demonstration followed by dinner.
- Take an excursion to walled Assisi, a gem of a town in the heart of Umbria.
- Encounter classic Tuscany with tours of Florence, a living monument to the Renaissance; San Gimignano, known for its 13 medieval watchtowers; and Siena, boasting one of Europe’s great public squares.
- Conclude your tour in magical Venice with a walk through vast St. Mark’s Square and time to explore on your own.
- Relax during three- and four-night stays in intimate small hotels in Amalfi, Tuscany, and Umbria.