May 9 – 24, 2020 [ Doubles: waitlist only]
Number of days:
$5,474 [including air from SFO]
|Final Brochure: Portrait of Italy||4.41 MB|
- Travel to the breathtaking Amalfi Coast, your base for exploring Italy’s Campania region.
- Take a coastal cruise to Amalfi Center and ascend to mountaintop Ravello, with its beautiful gardens and coastal views.
- Explore the ruins at Pompeii, the city frozen in time by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 CE.
- Stop in Montecassino, whose Abbey is the mother church of the Benedictine order and a center of medieval art.
- Tour the heart of ancient Rome: the 55,000-seat Colosseum, built in 72 CE; and the Forum, ancient Rome’s political and legal center.
- Visit the Vatican for a tour of St. Peter’s Square and Basilica, and the awe-inspiring Sistine Chapel in the Vatican Museums.
- Travel through a pastoral landscape of rolling farmlands and medieval hill towns to Orvieto, where you’ll attend a cooking demonstration followed by dinner.
- Take an excursion to the walled town of Assisi, a gem in the heart of Umbria.
- Encounter classic Tuscany with tours of Florence, a living monument to the Renaissance; San Gimignano, known for its 13 medieval watchtowers; and Siena, boasting one of Europe’s great public squares.
- Enjoy a local wine tasting in San Gimignano, a region known for Italy’s beloved Chianti .
- Conclude your journey in magical Venice with a walk through vast St. Mark’s Square and time to explore on your own.
- Relax during three- and four-night stays in intimate small hotels in Amalfi, Tuscany, and Umbria.
- Continue exploring Venice on your own on an optional 3-day/4-night post-tour extension.