Oct. 4 – 11, 2020
Number of days:
|Preliminary Flyer: Civil Rights||1.76 MB|
- Visit the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum which opened in December 2017. This state-funded museum provides an honest account of the Civil Rights Movement in Mississippi through a series of galleries packed floor to ceiling with photographs, texts, and recordings.
- At the Little Rock High School, meet with one of the Little Rock Nine - Mrs. Elizabeth Eckford and hear her story.
- Spend a day in the Mississippi Delta, stopping at the BB King Museum, before lunch and an afternoon with sharecropper, Sylvester Hoover.
- Explore the histories of Southern music and cuisine, some of the most powerful and inspired creations of which were born out of hardship and continue to evolve.
- End the program in Montgomery with visits to the Dexter Street Parsonage, and learn more about the work of Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative at the new Memorial for Peace and Justice and the Legacy Museum.