Domestic Scholarship Chairs for The Leadership Award oversee the local interview process for incoming freshmen and junior-transfer students. The position requires collaboration with fellow alumni, applicants, and the Alumni Scholarships Department at the Cal Alumni Association (CAA).
- Virtual - California-Based (The Leadership Award)
- San Francisco (The Leadership Award)
- Santa Cruz County (The Leadership Award)
- San Fernando Valley (The Leadership Award)
- Pasadena (The Leadership Award)
- South Los Angeles - Long Beach Area (The Leadership Award)
- Los Angeles (The Leadership Award)
- West Los Angeles (The Leadership Award)
- Texas - Austin Area (The Leadership Award)
Scholarship Chairs report to the Program Manager of Volunteer Engagement.
- Cal alumna or alumnus in good standing with the Alumni Scholarships Department and Cal Alumni Association.
- Resident of the district.
- Light availability (1-2 hours per week, fluctuating) from March to May 2019.
- Substantial availability (4-8 hours per week, fluctuating) from June to July 2019 (Note: time required varies greatly depending on district and number of finalists to interview)
- Ability to secure a venue for interviews. Note: CAA does not provide funding.
- Availability to host an interview event(s) between June and July 2019.
Build a strong local team:
- Recruit local alumni volunteers.
- Train all volunteers before permitting them to serve on an interview panel.
- Communicate with volunteers as necessary.
Prepare for and oversee interviews:
- Procure an appropriate venue for interviews – to be held in June or July.
- Coordinate interviews – in-person and virtual – for all applicants in your assigned district.
- Conduct interview event(s) and follow up with CAA staff as necessary.
- Utilize an online portal (WizeHive) to view training materials, manage interviewees assigned to the district, and print materials.
Adhere to CAA and Alumni Scholarships Department policy:
- Read the CAA District Chair Guide and sign all necessary agreement forms.
- Agree to the terms of the Data Management Protocol Agreement.
- Complete District Chair training provided by CAA, including all mandatory conference calls and training sessions.
- Submit all interviewing paperwork to CAA.
- Respond promptly to emails and voicemails from the Program Manager.
- Connect with fellow Cal alumni, including other Scholarship Chairs, in your area.
- Give back to your community, CAA, and Cal.
- Engage with future Cal Bears.
- Help select the next class of top student leaders receiving The Leadership Award.
- Refine your organizational and leadership skills.
Support from CAA Alumni Scholarships
- Training: comprehensive training on all parts of the position.
- Scholarship Chair Meetings: facilitation of opportunities to interact with other Scholarship Chairs, gain clarification on duties or responsibilities, and share best practices.
- Materials for outreach to alumni and applicants: approved text, flyers, and templates.
- Leads for volunteer recruitment: a list of volunteers currently in your district, distributed for the sole purpose of recruiting alumni volunteers (contingent upon signing the Data Management Protocol Agreement).