- Who do I contact if I have questions about my membership?
- Please contact our Membership staff in the Cal Alumni Association office. You can call us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586), call our direct line at 510.900.8210, email us at email@example.com, or visit us at Alumni House on campus.
- What are the office hours for the Membership office?
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Who can join the Cal Alumni Association?
- Everyone is welcome to join the Cal Alumni Association. Our annual membership is open to the general public. Our life membership is open to anyone with 12 or more units from any UC campus or UC Extension. Learn more about the variety of CAA membership types »
- I would like to become a CAA member. What is the best way to join?
There are several ways to become a CAA member. You may choose the method that works best for you:
- See our different rates and membership types and use our secure online sign-up form.
- Sign up over the phone by calling us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586) or our direct line 510.900.8210 during our regular business hours.
Mail a membership application with your payment to:
Cal Alumni AssociationOr fax it to 510.642.6252.
1 Alumni House
Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
- Visit Alumni House during our regular business hours, and have your membership card and kit issued on the spot.
- Where can I find information about my benefits as a CAA member?
- CAA membership includes many valuable and exclusive benefits, such as library borrowing privileges at each UC campus, a subscription to the California magazine, discounted products and services, and many more. Learn more about CAA member benefits »
- How do I update my contact information?
- You can update your address, phone number, and email using our Update Your Contact Info form or call us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586).
- How do I get a new membership card?
- If you have misplaced your membership card, or you did not receive a card after joining or renewing your membership, we are happy to replace your card free of charge. Please call us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive your membership card by mail typically within five to seven business days. You may also come by our office during regular business hours, and we will issue you a new card on the spot.
- I need to show proof of my membership, but I don’t have my card. Can I get an electronic copy?
- The best way to guarantee that you will be able to utilize your benefits as a CAA member is to have your physical membership card. While many of our partners require you to present the physical card in order to receive the benefit, some will allow you to show an electronic copy until you are able to obtain the physical copy. In these cases, please call the Membership office at 510.900.8210 or toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586), and we will be able to email you an electronic copy as well as send you a physical copy of your card.
- How can I find out the status of my membership?
- If you would like to check on your membership status, or determine the remaining balance on your life membership pledge, you may call us in the Membership office at 510.900.8210 or toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586), or reach us by email at email@example.com.
- I have been paying toward my Life Membership with monthly deductions, but I need to change my credit/debit card information. How can I change which card is used?
- You can call us in the Membership office at 510.900.8210 or toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586), and we can help you update the card used. If one of your monthly payments is declined before you are able to update your card information, your pledge will simply be extended for an additional month to make up for the failed payment.
- How are my membership dues used?
- Your membership dues support important CAA programs such as scholarships, student programs, alumni events, and the award-winning California magazine. Learn more about why membership matters »
- Do I have borrowing privileges at the libraries on campus?
- CAA members can obtain a library card and check out books from all campus libraries (excluding the Berkeley Law Library). You can check out up to 20 books at one time, and you can use OskiCat to search the library catalogs, place materials on hold, and renew books online.
- How do I get a library card?
- In order to obtain a library card, you will need your membership card and a valid California ID (or proof of residence). For UC Berkeley libraries, you can be issued the library card at the privileges desk in the Doe Library. For other UC campuses, please visit the library website for the campus you wish to access to determine where their library privileges desk is located.
- Do I have remote access to the library’s electronic resources?
- Unfortunately, remote access to the library’s electronic resources is limited to current UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff. Remote access for alumni, CAA members, or the general public is not included in the contracts that the library has with the electronic resource vendors. The library does have public computers dedicated to research, so if you would like to access the electronic resources, you may do so at the library.
- Do CAA members have access to Handshake and other Career Center services?
- CAA members do not have access to services provided by the Career Center. The Career Center has their own alumni plan called the Alumni Advantage, which offers access to their job site, Handshake, as well as other services for a fee. For more information, please visit the Career Center website.
- Who should I contact if I have a question about insurance plans for Cal alumni?
CAA has partnerships with several insurance providers that offer insurance plans to Cal alumni:
- Learn more about health insurance plans provided by Mercer Insurance , or contact Mercer Insurance by phone at 1.888.560.ALUM (2586).
- Learn more about auto and home insurance plans provided by Nationwide, or contact Nationwide by phone at 866.238.1426.
- Learn more about travel insurance provided by USI, or contact USI by phone at 800.937.1387.
- Why haven’t I received my California magazine?
The most common reason alumni do not receive their California magazine is because we do not have a correct address in our database. If you have moved and would like to update your address, you can use our Update Your Contact Info form, or you can call us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586).
If you are an annual member or are on a payment plan toward a life membership, be sure to check that your membership has not lapsed, as the magazine is only sent to current CAA members. If you are unsure of your membership status, you may contact our office.
Another reason you may not be receiving your magazine is that an exclusionary code may have been placed on your record if you previously requested that you no longer wanted to receive physical mail from CAA or the University. If you wish to update your mail preferences, please contact our office, and we will ensure that you remain on the mailing list.
- Can I keep my @berkeley.edu email address that I had as a student?
- Recent Cal graduates are able to keep and convert their @berkeley.edu address to an alumni email account. You will have up to 9 months after your graduate as a grace period in which you will still have access to your student email account. In order to keep your email active after the grace period, please visit the @cal Alumni Network for more information on claiming your @berkeley.edu address as a Cal graduate.
- How do I set up an @berkeley.edu alumni email address?
- All Cal alumni are eligible to claim an @berkeley.edu email account, powered by Google, through the @cal Alumni Network. Using an alumni email address provides a connection to Cal for social and professional networking, and showcases your Cal pride. Once you create a profile on @cal, you will see a link that will allow you to set up your alumni email addresses. For more information, you can read the @cal alumni email FAQs.
- How do I change the email address to which my alumni email addresses forward?
- You can manage your email forwarding settings from your @cal profile. Once logged into @cal, access the drop down menu in the top right corner next to your name, and choose the option that says “Edit my email forwarding.” Enter your preferred email address in the “Tell us where to forward your email” section, and click the update button.
- How can I get in touch with another alum?
To search for an alum, you can utilize the @cal Alumni Network. All UC Berkeley graduates can create a profile on @cal, and you can use the search function in order to find other individuals’ profiles.
CAA also offers a mail forwarding service for alumni for whom we have a physical address. Please contact our office beforehand to ensure that we do have a current address for the alum you wish to contact. To take advantage of the mail forwarding service, once we have confirmed that we have an address for the individual on record, please complete the following steps:
- Place whatever correspondence you would like to send in a sealed, stamped envelope and write the name and class year of the alum where you would normally address a letter.
Write your name and address in the upper left hand corner of the envelope. (This is very important. If the mail is returned for whatever reason, it goes back to you). Place the sealed envelope in a different envelope and send it to us at the address below:
Cal Alumni Association
Attn: Mail Forwarding
1 Alumni House
Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
- Cal Alumni Association
- Once we receive your letter, we will fill in the address and mail it for you.
We offer a similar service for email forwarding. If the alum you wish to contact has an email on record, we can contact them on your behalf, and communicate your message to them. As with the mail forwarding, please contact our office beforehand to ensure we have an email address on file for the alum you wish to contact.
- I am receiving unwanted mail/emails. How can I be removed from the mailing list?
- You can communicate your mail preferences by calling us toll free at 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586), or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we process your request to be removed from a mailing list, you may still receive materials for up to four weeks, as distribution lists are often pulled in advance.
- What is the difference between my Life Membership and the Golden Bear Life Membership?
- The Golden Bear Life Membership is a way for those who are already Life Members to show their continued support of CAA and the University. Those who are already Life Members will continue to receive every benefit CAA has to offer. The Golden Bear Life Membership is a one-time, tax-deductible donation of $250 that is also counted toward your University giving total. Golden Bear Life Members receive a special membership card, a Golden Bear lapel pin, and their name is published in California magazine. All membership dues go to supporting vital programs for Cal students and alumni. Learn how to become a Golden Bear Life Member »
- Are membership dues tax deductible?
- Our annual membership and our life membership are not tax deductible, as there is a cash value associated with our member benefits. The Golden Bear Life Membership is a tax-deductible donation, and also counts toward your University giving total. Learn more about the Golden Bear Life Membership »
- Can my partner and I have a joint membership?
- CAA memberships are only issued on an individual basis. While there are a select few benefits that can also be used by the member’s immediate family, the majority of our benefits are only available to the individual with the CAA membership. If you or your partner is a Life Member, we offer a special, discounted rate for the other partner to join as a Life Member. Learn more about our Spouse Life Membership »
- I donate to the University, does that make me a CAA member?
- CAA membership is a separate program, independent of donations made to the University. Membership dues are not tax-deductible because of the cash value associated with the benefits offered to CAA members.