CALIFORNIA is an editorially independent general-interest magazine and website. The mission of the publications is to cover the news, issues, discoveries, and people of the University of California, Berkeley, and keep alumni, scholars, researchers and thoughtful readers informed about the cutting-edge ideas and innovation emanating from the campus. The magazine is published four times a year and has a readership of 95,000. The website is updated with fresh news and can be accessed daily. Through news items, in-depth interviews, and features on topical issues, both publications report on the contemporary Berkeley campus with insight, style, and punch. Since 1897, CALIFORNIA magazine has informed readers about one of the world’s greatest universities.
Cal Alumni Association
1 Alumni House
Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
Toll-free: 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586)
A former syndicated newspaper columnist for Universal Press Syndicate and Ted Scripps Fellow in Environmental Reporting, Pat’s writing has appeared in The Atlantic, Scientific American, Smithsonian and the Virginia Quarterly Review.
With decades of editing experience in a variety of media—including book publishers and magazines—Kate has been working online since 1995. In addition, she taught basic motorcycling to Billie Joe Armstrong.
Senior Associate Editor
As a former CALIFORNIA intern, she never behaved like a proper intern—so we hired her. Krissy has written for myriad publications and had weekly and monthly columns in both the San Francisco Bay Guardian and the Bay Area Reporter. She holds a degree in electronic media and film from Towson University.
A creative director and graphic designer for more than 20 years, Michi designs books and publications for numerous publishers, museums and galleries.
Anita is a graphic designer who has worked at various publications, including Health, Mother Jones, Yoga Journal, and San Francisco Focus/KQED. She was also a senior designer at Student Affairs at the UC Office of the President. She is proud to be a UC Berkeley alumna.
- 2018 Best American Science and Nature Writing
- 2015 CASE Circle of Excellence Silver Award, Best General Interest College or University Publication
- 2014 American Illustration 33
- 2013 CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Awards (two), Best Articles of the Year
- 2012 CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Award, Best General Interest College or University Publication
- 2012 Best American Science and Nature Writing
- 2009 Best Special Interest Magazine, Western Publishing Association
- 2008 Folio Gold Eddie Best Association Magazine