The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is seeking a candidate who is highly motivated, collaborative, and customer service oriented, and who demonstrates initiative to provide prompt, reliable, and effective workstation support to CAA staff, including installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting computer hardware and software. The Information Technology department at CAA supports a diverse group of more than 80 employees in 15 departments, spanning 1 office location in Berkeley, CA, and 2 locations nestled in the Stanislaus National Forest in Pinecrest, CA. Technically CAA operates with Windows, Mac, and Chromebook operating systems and environments. We have a hybrid work environment with employees working both remotely and on-site depending on their business needs.
SCHEDULE AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- Our team of Support Specialists work a majority of their time on-site in Berkeley to support our on-site employees and guests at the Alumni House. There is flexibility for remote work depending on business needs. Remote work must be performed in California.
- Occasional work during non-business hours including weekends, early mornings, and late evenings
- Travel to CAA locations in Pinecrest, CA 1-2 times per year, in all seasons, as needed
- Travel to CAA employee remote work locations within California, as needed
- Schedule flexibility to be on on-call status when needed
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to regularly push/pull/lift/carry 20 lbs, crawl beneath desks, and climb a step ladder every day
- Dexterity to assemble, configure, and install workstations and related equipment
- Stationary time in front of a computer and on the phone
- Resolve Helpdesk tickets—provide status updates to ticket requester, investigate and solve complex requests, provide user support, document resolution, and close tickets; use independent judgment and discretion to prioritize the tasks at hand
- Develop documentation and processes, and conduct training for effective use of computers, mobile devices, printers, phones, software, and other information systems and applications
- Responsible for onboarding and offboarding users in strict compliance with CAA’s policies and best practices
- Maintain the inventory of computer and network equipment, including hardware, software, printers, and other peripheral devices—includes research, procurement, license management and coordination with external vendors for products and services
- Recommend, document, and assist Manager and Director to execute crisis response plans
- Assemble, configure, and install workstations, including hardware, software, drivers, printers, and peripheral devices—perform preventative maintenance
- Troubleshoot and coordinate the resolution of complex technical issues for the organization
- Coordinate with the Sr Director for Alumni House and Events Services to provide event technical support, including room setup for computers, projection units, internet access, videoconferencing, and teleconferencing
- Assist the Helpdesk Manager to plan, configure, and implement network, server, hardware, software, and systems upgrades and document iterations
- Assist the Helpdesk Manager to perform routine and preventative network and server maintenance and systems administration, including but not limited to duties related to database, security, web, mail system and telecommunications administration, and document iterations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Exceptional communication skills—must be able to articulate technical issues to a diverse non-technical audience and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Proficiency working in Windows, Mac, and Chromebook operating systems and environments
- Proficiency using Google Apps and MS Office Apps
- Demonstrable interest in keeping current with emerging technologies, standards, and best practices
- Ability to assemble, configure, and repair computer hardware
- Demonstrated skill in problem identification, research, and resolution; possess judgment to delegate/escalate issues appropriately
- Working knowledge of enterprise system dependencies and ability to use this information to troubleshoot
- Working knowledge of hardware, network, web, and database technologies, tools, and protocols
- Ability to grasp, and apply organizational policies and procedures, business requirements, and other IT standards and policies
- Basic knowledge of applications programming technologies, tools, and protocols
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrable customer service skills and positive attitude
- Demonstrable organizational skills, commitment and follow-through
- Ability to assume responsibility with minimum supervision, and work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrable initiative and ability to perform new tasks outside the candidate’s immediate range of skills
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and campus-wide events in addition to assigned work shift.
Must submit to and pass driving record, consumer report, and FBI/DOB fingerprint background investigations.
- Experience working with Google Workspace, Active Directory, VoIP, and SaaS
- Experience working in nonprofit, higher education, or small business environments
- Experience deploying Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of desktop, business, and technical support systems
Salary and Benefits
Pay Range: $24.60 – 27.15 per hour.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly job with benefits, working 37.5 hours per week. The position is located in Berkeley, CA, and is eligible to participate in healthcare benefits, a retirement plan with company match, and generous vacation and holiday time-off. CAA staff, while not University of California employees, are eligible for many UCB staff programs and discounts on campus. We have a friendly professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, noting End User Support Specialist in the subject line. Please send your documents as attachments in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by 4/21/2023. We are seeking candidates whose previous experience prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion and to increasing the participation of individuals from groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We are also looking for applicants who demonstrate an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus