The Online and Social Media Editor collaborates with editorial staff in assigning and editing stories for California Online (californiamag.org) while having full responsibility for posting those stories to the website and promoting all California magazine content across various social media channels and online platforms.
The position requires coordination of social networking efforts to propagate and promote stories on the web. California magazine’s social media channels currently include X, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Additionally, we maintain a YouTube channel to host unique video content, and we produce a podcast, The Edge, available on a variety of platforms.
The Online and Social Media Editor is required to attend weekly editorial meetings and is expected to work closely with the rest of the editorial staff to produce timely and compelling online content while also promoting content from the print publication on social media.
The Cal Alumni Association seeks candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We are also looking for applicants who demonstrate an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
- Develops strategies to leverage California magazine content across all digital channels and leads efforts to implement these strategies.
- Collaborates with senior editorial staff in assigning, editing, and producing online stories.
- Oversees the work of staff and freelance website contributors to produce regularly updated, high-quality content.
- Prepares and uploads to the website all stories, photos, videos, and other multimedia content produced by the print or online magazine
- Uploads and publishes digital and biannual print content to the website, including text and multimedia, using the magazine’s content management system (CMS).
- Working to improve the design, functionality, and appearance of the website
- Production of monthly e-newsletter in conjunction with editorial team
- Promoting and curating content on social media to achieve greater reader engagement
- Manages and reconciles the budget for online operations
- Monitoring UC Berkeley-related news for breaking stories and trends to report on, follow, or share.
- Light HTML coding in the website’s CMS.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The role may also involve writing and editing for the print publication.
- Journalism experience or demonstrated journalistic instincts; Understanding of news values and commitment to journalistic ethics
- Excellent writing, editing, and grammar skills
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to grow readership/viewership via social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SEO and ability to write SEO-friendly article titles, identify and incorporate keywords, optimize web articles for organic discovery.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics and web traffic metrics
- Demonstrated knowledge of HTML (Experience with WordPress CMS a plus)
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud or similar publishing tools, including ability to edit, color-correct, and format images for digital publication, both desktop and mobile.
- Experience with web publishing and content management systems
- Ability to manage freelance contributors
- Familiarity with Mac operating system
- Must have flexibility in work schedule to permit occasional evening and weekend commitments, particularly during and after print production.
- Must submit to and pass driving record, consumer report, and FBI/DOB fingerprint background investigations.
- 2+ years journalism experience
- 1+ years of marketing and social media experience
- Experience planning and managing a budget
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary range is $68,000-$72,000 and is located in Berkeley, CA. This job is eligible to participate in healthcare benefits, a retirement plan with company match, and generous vacation and holiday time-off. CAA staff, while not University of California employees, are also eligible for many UC Berkeley staff programs and discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
After reviewing our website, please email your cover letter, resume, and three writing samples with “Online and Social Media Editor” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters and writing samples will not be accepted. Writing samples do not need to be published. Please send all materials as a single attachment in PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your application materials for consideration by March 1, 2024. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Deadline to Apply
March 1, 2024
Submit Your Resume
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reference the job title in the subject line of your email. Attachments should be in MS Word or PDF format.
Complete the Application Packet
Candidates invited to participate in a job interview must complete our Application Packet. Please use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
Our Operating Principles
We are especially interested in hiring a candidate who will commit to building a workplace that:
- Fosters personal accountability and empowerment
- Inspires personal integrity and a commitment to ethical standards
- Builds trust and mutual respect
- Fosters effective communication
- Conducts work that is inspirational, innovative, forward-thinking and adaptable
- Reinforces teamwork
- Offers constructive feedback and coaching
- Shares a common commitment to vision/goals
- Nurtures a positive outlook
- Affirms diversity
- Allows for an aesthetic, healthy and accommodating physical workspace.
For Our Full-time Employees:
CAA offers an excellent health care and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), a generous paid time-off benefit, and more. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Health Care Benefits:
- CAA employees are required to contribute 10% of their total medical premium for the employee and 20% for any eligible dependents.
- CAA pays 100% of the premiums for Dental and Vision benefits for the employee and any eligible dependents.
Paid Time Off Benefits:
- Vacation: 16 days/year for first 2 years of service, 18 days/year after completing 2 years of service, 21 days/year after completing 5 years of service.
- Sick time: 12 days/year
- Holidays: 11 total per year
- Paid time off between Dec 26 and Dec 31
- Birthday Holiday: 1 Day off
- As affiliates to UC Berkeley, CAA employees are eligible to participate in many of the on-campus professional development workshops, seminars and professional networks available to UCB employees. Please note that this does not include undergraduate or graduate courses offered to students.
- CAA has a partnership with UC Berkeley Extension that offers our employees a discount on enrollment fees.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Supplemental Insurance with 100% of premiums paid by CAA:
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- LTD Insurance
- Option to purchase supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC
Commuting and Parking:
- If you’re a commuter, consider taking advantage our pre-tax public transit commuter benefit. You can load your Clipper Card or pay public transit fare with pre-tax dollars.
- Cal Bear Pass: Take advantage of UCB’s partnership with AC Transit. The partnership offers a cost savings of up to 70% off the standard monthly bus pass rate! CAA employees are eligible to purchase an AC transit pass at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
- UCB Campus Parking Permit: As affiliates to UCB, our CAA employees are eligible to purchase a campus parking permit at the faculty/staff discount rate with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Access to Campus Programs and Discounts:
- Eligible to join the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at the Faculty/Staff discount rate
- Special campus events
- Free admission to the University Art Museum
- Discount tickets for Cal Performances, Pacific Film Archive, and Hertz Hall
- AirBears: wireless internet access on campus