Before applying to become an Online Alumni Community with the Cal Alumni Association (CAA), the Alumni Chapters Staff asks that any interested alumni familiarize themselves with the following documents and resources to ensure Online Alumni Community volunteer success and alignment with CAA mission and goals.
The following are the benefits and responsibilities of an Alumni Community with CAA.
Online Alumni Community Benefits:
- Online Alumni Communities will be listed on the CAA website and linked to the Online Alumni Communities’ external online presence (e.g., facebook page).
Online Alumni Community listings will include this notation: “This community is created and organized by Cal alumni and is not a CAA Chartered Alumni Chapter.”
- Online Alumni Communities will be provided access to one email blast per 12 months to relevant alumni in your designated community (as data is available). The email message must be approved by CAA in advance. Email blast requests require up to four weeks to process.
- When appropriate, CAA may highlight an Online Alumni Community in our marketing communications beyond the website presence. (e.g., California magazine, The Cal Connection e-newsletter).
- CAA will provide each Online Alumni Community with a staff liaison to support the benefits listed above.
Online Alumni Community Responsibilities:
- Online Alumni Community primary contact must be a Cal alumnus/a.
- Online Alumni Community must have an external online presence to allow for alumni to connect to one another.
- Online Alumni Community must have online activity from its members at least every three (3) months.
- Online Alumni Community content and language on the external online presence must be appropriate and follow the CAA Community Policy Code of Conduct and the CAA Volunteer Handbook.
- The benefits and resources outlined in the Alumni Chapters Manual do not apply to the Online Alumni Community program.
- The submission of an application does not guarantee the acceptance into the Online Alumni Community program.
- Applications for Online Alumni Communities that serve the same community of an existing Chartered Alumni Chapter and/or Online Alumni Community or that serve academic departments/colleges can not be considered. Please be sure to review our list of current Chartered Alumni Chapters and Online Alumni Communities.
- Applications for Online Alumni Communities that serve an international community can not be considered by CAA - international alumni chapters are housed under the International Relations department.