The Cal Alumni Association has teamed up with the UC Berkeley Career Center to help students make connections and gain clarity in their career pursuits.
For each of these casual networking events, we are seeking a diverse group of alumni to showcase a variety of careers. The events require no prep—simply chat with interested students, share your path from Cal to career, and offer advice to those who hope to follow in your footsteps.
Events are two hours each, and start between 5 and 6 p.m. The Cal Alumni Association and Career Center host a brief networking reception for alumni volunteers with light refreshments 30 minutes prior to the event start time. All events are located at the UC Berkeley Career Center or Alumni House unless otherwise noted.
- Consulting — Wednesday, August 28, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in a variety of consulting roles such as management, operations, financial advisory, HR, IT, technical, and more!
- Non-Tech Roles in Tech — Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in a variety of non-technical roles within the tech industry, from sales and marketing to HR/recruitment and product management, to help promote the range of non-technical opportunities and backgrounds represented within this growing industry.
- Human Resources and Talent Acquisition — Thursday, October 03, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals to represent the various roles in HR/ talent acquisition such as university recruiting, people operations, and more!
- Government and Law — Thursday, October 10, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in a variety of roles within government and law such as attorneys, service or program officers, analysts, paralegals, and more!
- Ph.D. — Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Seeking Ph.D. alumni and professionals working in a variety of roles and industries to share their Cal to career story with students. Ph.D. recruiters are also encouraged to participate.
- Data Science — Thursday, October 24, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in data science, data analytics, or data engineering roles—regardless of educational background! In fact, it has been great in the past to have folks who come from a variety of backgrounds to demonstrate to students the number of different pathways to data science.
- Environment and Sustainability — Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals in all companies and industries in roles focused on environmental and sustainability efforts.
- Biotech Connect — Wednesday, November 13, 2019
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in various areas of biotechnology including biomed, pharmaceuticals, food discovery, robotics, and more! The target audience for this event are students studying bioengineering, mechanical engineering, biochemistry, biology, and students interested in exploring the exciting field that sits at the nexus of technology and life sciences.
- Tech for Good — Tuesday, January 28, 2020
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in a variety of technical roles at social impact oriented organizations/companies, in both nonprofit and for-profit capacities. Examples: Educational technology, healthcare, clean tech, NGOs, etc.
- UI/UX and Graphic Design — Wednesday, February 05, 2020
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in the UI/UX and/or graphic design in roles such as UX researcher, content strategist, visual designer, interaction designer, UX/UI developer, UX designer, product designer, etc.
- Marketing and Media — Tuesday, February 11, 2020
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in fields such as public relations, advertising, market research, sales strategy, community relations, advertising, media planning, search engine optimization, social media, broadcasting, film, TV, radio, journalism, and publishing.
- Product Management — Thursday, February 20, 2020
- Seeking alumni and professionals with experience in taking products, ranging from complex to consumer packaged goods, from concept to market. No preparation is necessary aside from being ready to answer students’ questions about your career.
- Education and Nonprofit — Thursday, February 27, 2020
- Seeking alumni and professionals working in nonprofit, education, or for-profit organizations in roles dealing with programs, products, or services centered on bettering the world and the lives of its inhabitants.
- Health Professions — Thursday, March 05, 2020
- Seeking physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, and other professionals in the healthcare field to share their wisdom and practical advice with students aspiring to be healthcare professionals.
- Sports Industry — Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Seeking dynamic alumni and professionals who work in a variety of fields in the sports industry such as coaching, fitness, broadcasting, social media, and more! We know there are many ways students can use their interest and expertise in sports in combination with statistics, communications, business, tech, and so much more.
- Esports and Gaming Industries — Thursday, March 19, 2020
- Seeking dynamic alumni and other professionals who work within the esports and gaming industries. Because this event is focused on career exploration, we encourage diversity in the career paths represented: from software to graphic design, marketing, sales, testing, writing, professional gaming, and much more!
- Assist Cal students of all class standings with their career development
- Share your expertise and knowledge about your field and the work world
- Build new connections with the Cal campus and reflect upon your time here
- Meet Cal students who might become great interns or employees at your organization
Photo credit: Elena Zhukova