Sponsored by the Cal Alumni Association’s Southern California Alumni Chapters
UC Berkeley will welcome 8,500 new undergraduates this August through the new Golden Bear Orientation. Rather than students attending a separate orientation during the summer prior to move-in day, they will only need to come to campus once for orientation, move-in, and the fall semester.
Golden Bear Express
The Golden Bear Express is a program that transports low-income students from Southern California to campus on move-in day. On Sunday morning, August 13, 2017, Golden Bear Express buses will depart from six pick up locations throughout Southern California: Los Angeles, San Gabriel Valley, South Bay, Long Beach, Orange County, and San Diego. Each bus will host approximately 40 new undergraduate students (first-years and transfers) and will be joined by two current students (orientation leaders).
- April 7: Fundraising begins
- June 15: Fundraising concludes
- August 13: Local alumni host grab-and-go breakfast and send off. Golden Bear Express departs for Berkeley.
Each Southern California alumni chapter will coordinate regional fundraising efforts for the Golden Bear Express and will host a send-off for one bus in their name (e.g. The Orange County Golden Bear Express). The cost is approximately $2,500 per bus. Alumni are encouraged to give $68 to sponsor one student’s trip up to Cal, which includes a gift card for lunch at In-N-Out at the halfway point. Here are the steps to sponsor a student:
- Go to orientation.berkeley.edu/make-gift
- Scroll to the bottom and enter the donation amount. Suggested donation is $68 for one student.
- “The Golden Bear Orientation” should already be selected by default
- Click “Continue” to go to the giving detail page
- Under the “Optional” section, click on “I am giving in honor of someone”
- For the “name of person,” type in your alumni chapter’s code:
- SD Golden Bear Express
- OC Golden Bear Express
- LBC Golden Bear Express
- SB Golden Bear Express
- LA Golden Bear Express
- SGV Golden Bear Express
- General giving should be “CAA Golden Bear Express.”
- Enter your personal and financial information.
Sarah Yi, Cal Alumni Association (firstname.lastname@example.org)