In Partnership with the San Francisco Foundation
Funded by the San Francisco Foundation and in partnership with UC Berkeley and the Cal Alumni Association, the African American Initiative (AAI) Scholarship provides African American students with financial support to help make their Cal education more accessible.
As of fall 2021, this scholarship is for UC Berkeley students who demonstrate leadership potential and a genuine willingness to contribute positively to the Black community at Cal. These students have been admitted to UC Berkeley as incoming freshmen.
The AAI scholarship is one part of a larger campus-wide initiative, the African American Initiative, led by the Division of Equity and Inclusion at UC Berkeley as a comprehensive effort to address the underrepresentation of African American students, faculty, and staff at Cal.
African American Initiative Scholarship recipients are expected to join The AAI Scholarship Program through The African American Student Development Office. Program Requirements include:
- Attend the Black Student Orientation, August 20th, 2021.
- Attend the AAI Scholarship Recipient Reception.
- Meet with the African American Initiative Academic Counselor at least once per semester.
- Attend the AAI Student Retreat.
- Attend at least one workshop offered in partnership with Cal Alumni Association each semester.
- Identify as Black/African American/African
- California Dream Act and AB540 students are eligible to receive the award
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year will be open March 1, 2021 - March 28, 2021.
|Incoming Freshman||$8,000||8–10 semesters (Students are not required to re-apply for each subsequent year, but must remain in good academic standing.)||All awards will be disbursed through the UC Berkeley’s Financial Aid and Scholarships Office|
|Incoming UC Berkeley freshman for Fall 2021||
|Online Application Period||March 1 – March 28|
|Finalist Interviews over Zoom||April 18 & April 21|
|Recipient Notification||April 23|
|Deadline to Accept||May 2|