An editorially independent general-interest magazine and website
Cal Alumni Association
1 Alumni House
Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
Toll-free: 888.CAL.ALUM (888.225.2586)
A former syndicated newspaper columnist for Universal Press Syndicate and Ted Scripps Fellow in Environmental Reporting, Pat’s writing has appeared in The Atlantic, Scientific American, Smithsonian and the Virginia Quarterly Review.
Laura Smith did not go to Cal, but wishes she had. Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, The Guardian, Slate, and others. She is the author of the nonfiction book, The Art of Vanishing (Penguin/Viking, 2018). There is a special place in her heart (and the accepted pitch folder in her inbox) for stories about badass women, history, literature, cultural criticism, and anything that manages to combine all of these things into one story.
After a stint in startup-land, Esther escaped into editorial. Previously, she worked at Communication Arts, where she discovered how the world intersects with design. She’s now discovering the world of UC Berkeley.
A creative director and graphic designer for more than 20 years, Michi designs books and publications for numerous publishers, museums and galleries.
Anita is a graphic designer who has worked at various publications, including Health, Mother Jones, Yoga Journal, and San Francisco Focus/KQED. She was also a senior designer at Student Affairs at the UC Office of the President. She is proud to be a UC Berkeley alumna.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2021 Best American Essays notable selection
- 2020 CASE Circle of Excellence Grand Gold for Best General Interest College or University Publication, (circulation 3X or greater)
- 2018 Best American Science and Nature Writing selection
- 2015 CASE Circle of Excellence Silver Award, Best General Interest College or University Publication, (circulation 4X or greater)
- 2014 American Illustration 33
- 2013 CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Awards (two), Best Articles of the Year
- 2012 CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Award, Best General Interest College or University Publication (circulation 4x or greater)
- 2012 Best American Science and Nature Writing selection
- 2009 Best American Science and Nature Writing selection
- 2009 Best Special Interest Magazine, Western Publishing Association
- 2008 Folio Gold Eddie Best Association Magazine
- 2007 Best American Essays selection