The composer Roger Sessions taught in the Department of Music at UC Berkeley from 1945 to 1953, the year this recording was made of the Griller String Quartet rehearsing for an upcoming performance of the composer’s String Quartet No. 2 at Wheeler Hall. Hertz and Zellerbach halls did not yet exist. Sessions subsequently left Berkeley for Princeton until 1965. In 1966-67 he returned to Berkeley as the Ernest Bloch Visiting Professor. For more on Berkeley’s esteemed Department of Music, see “The Sound of Musicology” in the Summer 2011 issue. Enjoy.